New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Do the e-SATA ports support Port Multiplier?

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
Cheeseboy

Re: Do the e-SATA ports support Port Multiplier?

Post by Cheeseboy »

I'm using one of these with my B3:
http://www.addonics.com/products/ad5esapm-e.php

I've got two S1 external disk enclosures attached via this device in a simple LVM setup (no RAID).
It works very well. It has also proved invaluable when replacing disks more-or-less "on the fly" (with pvmove).
theWebalyst

Post by theWebalyst »

Lorden wrote:Hi there!
Same question again but this time for the B3.
Bengt
A couple of weeks ago I remember seeing a post including some photos of a b3 setup somewhere on this forum and it included a port multiplier of some kind. Not sure if it was USB or eSATA, b2 or b3 but searching the forums might find it. The photo was of a window ledge or similar and several boxes (inc bubba) strung together with some labelling of what the various components were - I think letters or numbers on the photo and a key in the text of the post.

I could be mistaken about this - going from memory.

Mark
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

theWebalyst wrote:I could be mistaken about this - going from memory.
You are not mistaken. That was my picture of my B3, Addonics SATA port multiplier (mentioned earlier), S1 disk-enclosures etc.
http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?f ... 406#p22406

I had to remove the picture some time ago.
Or rather, I removed all the pictures I've posted on the forum that's been hosted on the Bubba Server, B2, and B3 respectively during the years, until I could figure out a way to make them look good again.

I've resized the image and uploaded it as an attachment to the original post rather than just linking to it.
Quality has suffered....

Regarding ahoff's question, the spec sheet of the model you linked to looks very similar to the one I'm using. So it should work, BUT:
1. I have not tested that particular piece of hardware
2. I do not use RAID
3. Lack of SATA III capabilities and potential performance degradation due to a shared SATA channel does not affect my usage of the file system, but it might be noticeable for you depending on intended usage

Cheers,

Cheeseboy