New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

bug in tzdata

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
adegert

bug in tzdata

Post by adegert »

with tzdata 2007k-1etch1 I get about 20 seconds additional timeshift between CEST and UTC:

bubba:~# date; date -u
Di 5. Mai 14:46:50 CEST 2009
Di 5. Mai 12:47:13 UTC 2009

with tzdata 2008e-1etch3 (Version from etch) everything is fine:

bubba:~# date; date -u
Di 5. Mai 15:35:48 CEST 2009
Di 5. Mai 13:35:48 UTC 2009

Not sure if this is the right forum to dump this information, but I hope it helps someone.

ciao
Andreas
evertr

Re: bug in tzdata

Post by evertr »

Andreas, thanks for noting this; I just bumped into this problem.

I'm not too familiar with package management in debian; can anyone help me out how to get the tzdata fix installed?
(Is it correct that this problem still exist with the main tzdata, after having just received my Bubba|Two and performing a system update?)

Evert
evertr

Post by evertr »

Further to that:

bubba:/home/evert# aptitude show tzdata
Package: tzdata
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
Version: 2008e-1etch3
Priority: required
Section: libs
Maintainer: GNU Libc Maintainers <debian-glibc@lists.debian.org>
Uncompressed Size: 5931k
Replaces: libc0.1, libc0.3, libc6, libc6.1
Provides: tzdata-etch
Description: Time Zone and Daylight Saving Time Data
This package contains data that represent the history of local time for many representative locations around the globe. It is updated periodically to reflect changes made by political bodies to time
zone boundaries, UTC offsets, and daylight-saving rules

Tags: role::app-data, use::timekeeping

bubba:/home/evert# date; date -u
Sat Jul 25 13:40:11 CEST 2009
Sat Jul 25 11:40:35 UTC 2009

So, am I actually using tzdata 2008e-1etch3, and this still fails? Is it another package that causes this?
adegert

Post by adegert »

very strange... i just checked again and the timeshift bug is back (actually now my installed version was 2009g-0etch1). Installalling *any* new version fixes the bug. When going back to the previously installed version the bug is still gone. Seems to be a very shy bug...

After reinstalling tzdata the web fontend shows the current timezone as utc (though using date on the command line shows the correct timezone). I changed the timezone with the web fontend... and the timeshift bug is back. I don't have time to investigate this further, maybe someone who wrote the web fontend is listening? :wink:

So, in summary:

# aptitude reinstall tzdata

should help, but don't use the web frontend afterwards to change timezone information...
evertr

Post by evertr »

Thanks! That seems to work.

I'll be using tzconfig instead if I need to configure my timezone. Just tried playing around with it, and that didn't cause any problems, so that would indeed suggest web frontend is the cause. If I feel like it and have the time, I might have a look at that code (could be a bug in a php routine. A very quick Google search reveals this entry: http://derickrethans.nl/php_lags_23_seconds.php . Leap seconds to the rescue/blame! Or php to update...).
peter

Post by peter »

Take a look at this post also.

http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?f ... time#p7608

Peter