New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

How to set up USB memory for rescue?

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
fallberg

How to set up USB memory for rescue?

Post by fallberg »

Hi,
I messed up my /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh with a bad call which caused the Bubba to freeze during boot.
Believing it as not a big deal (which it isn't) I downloaded the zip with the rescue image and prepared a USB stick to get a shell to fix the problem.
Only problem is that it does not access the USB stick. I tried using two different sticks. I unzipped the contents to the root a FAT32 formatted USB drive and pressed the power button, powered on and held on until I saw on the stick that it was mounted (LED activity on the stick).
However, after the mounting, nothing happened and the Bubba just continued with its 4Hz flashing. The USB stick showed no more activity.
So I believed I put the files in the wrong location and tried to instead of having

Code: Select all

/install
have

Code: Select all

/payload
bubba.cfg
install.itb
but with the same result.
I then tried to also include the u-boot binary available in the download folder but that did not help either.

In the end, I had to pull out the harddrive, insert it in a PC, mount the root drive, fix the script and then put it back in the Bubba. So now it boots ok again.
But I would really like to know how to get the USB rescue mode to work, since these "minor" issues would be far simpler to fix without getting physical on the hardware.

Regards,
Patrick Fallberg
asparak

Re: How to set up USB memory for rescue?

Post by asparak »

Did you make sure the light sequence was right? If you don't follow the instructions on the User Guide quite right, it never actually gets into the right mode and won't do the boot.

I know the instructions on the User Guide are good as it was one of the first things we tested when our Bubba Two arrived last week, for our Disaster Recovery plan.
fallberg

Post by fallberg »

Well, as I interpreted the instructions, this is what I should do:
format a USB disk to FAT32
unzip http://update.excito.net/install/latest ... ll-1.1.zip to the root of the USB stick
insert USB stick in Bubba
press and hold the power button
insert power cord
keep button pressed at least five seconds after the 4Hz flashing starts

This, I have done, and I did see that something accessed USB memory briefly (about 2s activity according to USB stick LED)
And then nothing. No network activity on any port (LAN or WAN) and my router does not see any DHCP request being sent.
The USB memory and harddisk do not indicate any activity revealing booting either.
The 4Hz flashing goes on "for ever".

I do not understand what I am doing wrong but one thing that might explain it is that the content of the USB stick is wrong in some sense. I just don't understand how I should prepare it otherwise.

I tried experimenting with the u-boot binary if that also was needed (which I do not believe since the boot image should be stored in the internal flash of the Bubba) but to no use.

Perhaps there are some permission problem if the zip is unzipped to the USB stick in Windows?
Am I required to unzip the content in Linux? Should not be needed since it is FAT32 and not EXTx...
asparak

Post by asparak »

Did you make any necessary changes to the bubba.cfg file?
fallberg

Post by fallberg »

Yes I have changed DO_INSTALL to 0 to enable rescue mode and I have tried both using Ultra Edit and Notepad2 to make sure the file is not corrupted.
mike_nl

Post by mike_nl »

Hello @all,

i had to use an external 20GB hard disk to format the new 640GB WD GP hard disk inside the b2.
No usb wan't run. I have tested 5 different sticks. Everyone with an fat table. But no one will
be run. But now it is running.

I think excito have to check more things in that direction.

Greetz, Mike (The Netherlands)
fallberg

Re: How to set up USB memory for rescue? <partially solved>

Post by fallberg »

Hello,
I also finally managed to find an old small USB harddisk I had stashed away. That one is working as a rescue disk. So yes, I agree. Excito need to have a look at the usb disk support in the boot stage since it seem to be very picky with the type of USB device used. "Ordinary" memorysticks does not seem to work very well.

Regards, Patrick
pa

Post by pa »

Hi guys,

I agree that the USB support is not all that we want it to be during the boot-sequence, but we do have a bit of difficulties here.

I do not think that you have made anything wrong, but I would in anycase like get a hold of a stick that you think _should_ work and try to figure out why it does not. The problem here is that the ones we are using in our lab all work...

Anyone that feels like swapping one non working for one our ours with the installation image on it?

/PA
fallberg

Post by fallberg »

Hello!
I have tried a Sandisk cruzer micro and a more "exotic" micro stick I do not have a name for.
If you do not have any cruzer micros available, I can check if I can send the one I have (it is sort of in use at the moment) or a simlar one to you.

/PF
pa

Post by pa »

Also check this howto to see if is the issue with a missing partition table and how to create a working stick on Bubba|Two.

http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1347

/PA
nitram

Post by nitram »

fallberg wrote:Hello!
I have tried a Sandisk cruzer micro and a more "exotic" micro stick I do not have a name for.
If you do not have any cruzer micros available, I can check if I can send the one I have (it is sort of in use at the moment) or a simlar one to you.

/PF
Hi Fallberg,

I've used a sandisk cruzer micro (4Gb) several times for installing/rescue B2 and it never failed.

Martin
fallberg

Post by fallberg »

Hi,
this is strange. I did prepare my USB harddrive the same way as my USB sticks, and the sticks always fail but the harddrive worked straight away. But perhaps the partitioning sequence is more sensitive for flash based drives (not that I can see why).
I will test with the sequence given by PA as well on the sticks I have to see if it makes a difference.

/PF
novis

Post by novis »

My usb stick started working correctly after I created that partition table on it with gparted.