New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Some help to a beginner would be appreciated

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
Agaresch

Some help to a beginner would be appreciated

Post by Agaresch »

Hi
I'm in need of some help.
First I would like to know if it's possible to make home directory writable? I want to use Clonezilla to be able to make images and install these images. The reason is that I dont want to go through the process of installing windows from scratch when I'm switching between win 7 and vista. To make a backup works fine but when Clonezilla wants to read an image it wants to make a temp dir home/partimg. This of course fails cause I cant create dirs directly under home and I cant make Clonezilla to change this either (at least I dont know how)
I guess that if its possible to change properties on home I must use ssh and here comes my second problem. When I used Putty to try to connect to my Bubba it failed. I have the Bubba connected as server only on one of the ports in my router and the Bubba works perfect except for SSH that is.
So how do I get SSH to work?
Puma

Re: Some help to a beginner would be appreciated

Post by Puma »

Hello,

You cannot write to the Home directory...
I think that is for security reasons.

Why do you want to write there is not clear to me.
You must do everyting in the home directories of the users.

Your web dir is also placed there. I would not want read/write access there for outsiders.

puma
Linux is like a wigwam - no windows, no gates, apache inside!
Agaresch

Re: Some help to a beginner would be appreciated

Post by Agaresch »

Thanks for the answer
The reason for me to want to write to home is that Clonezilla wants to create a working folder in the home directory and as far as I know I cant change this in Clonezilla. But if anyone who is reading this knows how to make Clonezilla write to somewhere else please respond.

To my second issue, SSH. I've solved that. My own fault :oops: Forgot that part to tick the yes box to allow SSH... :oops: