New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Portforwarding and easyfind

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
LudwigVan

Portforwarding and easyfind

Post by LudwigVan »

Maybe someone could advice?

I aam using a AVM Fritz!Box which is very common in Germany. It works as a ADSL-modem and router and offers some more features like many of this kind of boxes. I think there is one of linksys two with similar feature list. If you connect a computer it uses DHCP. I have no bubba2 but am wondering how it would work with easyfind and all the features and how to install.

L.
Last edited by LudwigVan on 01 Jan 2010, 11:46, edited 1 time in total.
asparak

Re: Portforwarding with AVM Fritz!Box

Post by asparak »

I would suspect it will be the same as any router.

easyfind works over port 80, so as long as you aren't blocking that, it works fine.

Otherwise, if you want specific services open, just forward them to the appropriate IP for the Bubba2. On most routers, this is relatively easy to accomplish. I recently asked excito to add a list of services and ports to their website somewhere for exactly this purpose and I understand they are working on this.
LudwigVan

Re: Portforwarding and easyfind

Post by LudwigVan »

Hallo,

I want to be more precise. I have now my bubba2 running. DHCP configuration was no problem thanks to modern and detailed set-up instructions for my router.

Now I wanted to reach my bubba from outside and setup easyfind. I use bubba2 inRouter / Firewall / Server mode. However bubba can not be reached. I tried the following portforwardings:

Port 21
Port 443
Port 25
Port 22
Port 80

including all ports visible. The router also would work as ADSL-Modem, but as the bubba2 has no setup-page for dialling in I did not get a connection. I read a similar thread in the forum but it did not get to the point. The question to me is: what is ment by "internet" in the setupcenarios? If the ports I forwarded do not work what alternative do I have?

L.

edit: i noticed that some applets (I use ubuntu 9.10 on my clients) do not work while connected to bubba2.
LudwigVan

Post by LudwigVan »

Maybe some body reads this and can advice:

I still got the easyfind-problem. I realy want to use this feature so I tested once again:

My router gives bubba always the same (static) IP. The router works with IP's from 192.168.178.20 to ... .200. Bubba works with IP 192.168.10.50 to ... .100 (should be default). Netmask is on both 255.255.255.0 and DNS is also on both 192.168.178.1 .

I have the ports forwarded mentioned in the post above. However I get no connection to easyfind to define my easyfind name. I checked with my ISP and no portblocker work on their side.

This really starts to be annoying.

L.
asparak

Post by asparak »

Hi there,

Port forwarding should be fairly easy to set up. I have done this for customers with Bubba's so should be easy.

Your router will have 2 sides to it. The external side, connected to the internet and an internal side, connected to your internal network. Now this is much easier if your bubba has a fixed IP address. You can achieve this on most DHCP setups by telling it to always issue the same IP to that system, or simply make your bubba fixed IP through the GUI interface and then exclude that IP from the DHCP range of your DHCP server.

Now Easyfind is only designed to handle http traffic on port 80, so forget about getting anything else to work with your easyfind address, its simply not going to happen, but you should be able to access the IP address easy enough. Don't forget you can't log in as admin from outside your network, only as a user

What you need to do it set up a port forwarding rule on your router, so that if it receives a request on a port on its external interface, it forwards it to that port on the external interface of the Bubba. How you do this is very dependant on your router, so I can't give you specific instructions, but a quick look at the manual on the AVM website looks pretty simple to follow.

Asparak
LudwigVan

Post by LudwigVan »

asparak wrote:Hi there,

Your router will have 2 sides to it. The external side, connected to the internet and an internal side, connected to your internal network. Now this is much easier if your bubba has a fixed IP address. You can achieve this on most DHCP setups by telling it to always issue the same IP to that system, or simply make your bubba fixed IP through the GUI interface and then exclude that IP from the DHCP range of your DHCP server.
What you need to do it set up a port forwarding rule on your router, so that if it receives a request on a port on its external interface, it forwards it to that port on the external interface of the Bubba. How you do this is very dependant on your router, so I can't give you specific instructions, but a quick look at the manual on the AVM website looks pretty simple to follow.

Asparak
Hi Asparak,

I set up the portforwarding rule for port 80 in the AVM router. Also I set up the fixed IP - both on the router and on my bubba.

My Router gave the bubba an IP from the range of its DHCP-Server. This IP is fixed. The IP bubb gets from the router does not come from the range of bubbas DHCP server.

I understand now that the static IP for bubba from the router does not have to come from the same rang of the DHCP of the router and of the DHCP from bubba?

L.
LudwigVan

Post by LudwigVan »

:?

I tested this: Router gives bubba a static IP out of the range of the routers DHCP and bubbas DHCP. I still get
Name "L_server" (or network) not available
. I tested several names...

L.