New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Disabling horde & kronolith

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
mcg

Disabling horde & kronolith

Post by mcg »

Since I don't use these packages, I'd like to disable them completely---specifically, I'd like to prevent the frequent cron jobs. What's the best/cleanest way to do that? Is there a single package I can safely remove? Should I just comment out the lines in the crontab? Ideally I'd like an approach that's easy to reverse if I ever decide to start using them.
asparak

Re: Disabling horde & kronolith

Post by asparak »

Have you tried
update-rc.d -f script_name remove
mcg

Post by mcg »

I don't think it's a startup issue---it's the cron job that runs every 5 minutes or so that bugs me.

If I don't hear from anyone I'll just edit the crontab. I just like doing things the "clean" way if there is one :)

Thanks for your help on both issues!
carl

Post by carl »

mcg wrote:I don't think it's a startup issue---it's the cron job that runs every 5 minutes or so that bugs me.

If I don't hear from anyone I'll just edit the crontab. I just like doing things the "clean" way if there is one :)

Thanks for your help on both issues!
It is actually just a cron issue :) and the issue can be resolved by removing /etc/cron.d/bubba-horde
/Carl Fürstenberg, Excito Software Developer
http://www.excito.com
support@excito.com
mcg

Post by mcg »

Time for a followup question!

It looks like that even if kronolith isn't being used, it is still consuming resources: specifically, mysqld opens all of the files in /var/lib/mysql/{horde,kronolith}, etc. So it's using open file descriptors as well. Yeah, that's maybe harmless, but if I'm not using them, it's my preference they not consume resources. Same goes for mediatomb.

Is there any way I can easily clean these up? Unfortunately, it seems to me that they're kind of intertwined rather tightly with bubba's base install, though, so I understand if it really can't be done without significant hacking.