New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

AFP-support useless for OS X Leopard users?

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
Gunnarsson

AFP-support useless for OS X Leopard users?

Post by Gunnarsson »

Hi

I've been trying to get the AFP-support up and running with my MacBook Pro, running OS X Leopard 10.6.
But with no luck. What i've read netatalk that the AFP-protcol uses can't be used with Leopard beacuse it needs encryption that netatalk don't have. Have I got this right and if so is there any plan to solve this problem in the near future. Would be nice to know before I start working on a solution on my own.

Merry Christmas!

/G
mcg

Re: AFP-support useless for OS X Leopard users?

Post by mcg »

What problems are you having? I have no trouble connecting my Snow Leopard machines to Bubba via AFP. Here's my AppleVolumes.default file:

~/ "$u" cnidscheme:cdb options:usedots,upriv
/home/Media/ "Media" cnidscheme:dbd options:nohex,usedots,upriv,noadouble dbpath
:/var/lib/netatalk
Gunnarsson

Post by Gunnarsson »

I'm new to the mac world but the AFP-share doesn't pop up in the finder window. I just get the Samba-share. Have tried with the samba shut off as well. Then I get nothing...

I think thats the thing. OS X 10.6 refuse unencrypted afp-connections. Due to saftey issues.
Just want someone to confirm this :)
mcg

Post by mcg »

Hmm... I didn't have to do anything special, either to my Mac or to my Bubba, to get my AFP connection working.
Gunnarsson

Post by Gunnarsson »

ops I got your post wrong. Thought you had problems too. Wonder what's wrong with my setup then?
Anyone?
NightGeo

Post by NightGeo »

Not a great deal of help, but AFP seems to be working fine for me too. Using 10.6.2, ethernet connection. (It also works over wireless I believe, I'll switch over later and check).

I haven't customised anything, so I don't think it works due to anything I've done. If there's anything I can do to check on my side that may help diagnose your problem, let me know. (Though I'm only around for the next 36 hours or so, then I'll be away from the Bubba for a week).
Gunnarsson

Post by Gunnarsson »

NightGeo wrote:Not a great deal of help, but AFP seems to be working fine for me too. Using 10.6.2, ethernet connection. (It also works over wireless I believe, I'll switch over later and check).

I haven't customised anything, so I don't think it works due to anything I've done. If there's anything I can do to check on my side that may help diagnose your problem, let me know. (Though I'm only around for the next 36 hours or so, then I'll be away from the Bubba for a week).
Thanks! but I think the problem was my router. Netgear-crap. Got an Airport Express for christmas and then the AFP-share poped up in finder.
Now I just need to get the time machine up and running.

Happy new year :)