New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Missing man -pages

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
novis

Missing man -pages

Post by novis »

I found some (odd) software in Bubba2 1.3.0. By typing bubba-networkmanager-cli it just gives 'Requires a command'. But there's no man, or help pages, so if someone could clarify what do they do exactly?

bubba-apt
bubba-networkmanager
bubba-networkmanager-cli
bubba-notify-led.pl
bubba-notify-ui.pl
RandomUsername

Re: Missing man -pages

Post by RandomUsername »

The reason there are no man pages is probably because these are packages created by Excito themselves. Can't tell you what any of them do though (although an educated guess about bubba-notify-led.pl would be that it controls the rate the LED blinks),
Last edited by RandomUsername on 21 Feb 2010, 09:46, edited 1 time in total.
novis

Post by novis »

Yes, they're very likely made by Excito. Still.. I have never written a man page, but I don't think it's too much of an effort? Just guessing.. of course depending of the scope of the command.

That bubba-networkmanager-cli sounds interesting, and I'm wondering what the function of the bubba-apt would be? Something that apt-get etc. are incapable of doing..? Well, I hope that one day we'll know :)
HeSitated

Post by HeSitated »

novis wrote:I have never written a man page, but I don't think it's too much of an effort?
Please do write one, then you know it is not as easy as it looks. You have to wite in such a way that everybody knows what you are saying....
That bubba-networkmanager-cli sounds interesting, and I'm wondering what the function of the bubba-apt would be?
But do you need the commands?

Please let the guys at Excito do their job and use the Bubba as it is.... :wink:
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

Actually HeSitated, I've got to disagree with you. Your argument seems to me to be a very Microsoft/closed source response - "we know best, you don't need to know what anything is doing". This goes against the very ethos of open source software. Now, I'm not sure what Excito's reasoning for choosing Linux for their product was. I suspect they were largely financially motivated (i.e. no licensing costs) but also there's the practicality (good luck getting Windows to run an a 12w PowerPC processor). However, from what I've seen, they do also seem to buy into the open source idea.

It isn't just about releasing source code and software for free, it's about transparency. Even if a man page only has a couple of lines to explain what the package is doing that's a start and I don't think there's any harm in someone asking about it.

Cheers.

Darren.
novis

Post by novis »

But do you need the commands?

Please let the guys at Excito do their job and use the Bubba as it is.... :wink:
It's not that I need the commands, its more about knowing what do they do or why are they there..

For me Bubba is tweaking, tweaking and some more tweaking.. (untill I need to reinstall everything :P) That kind of freedom and transparency is just what I like about linux. When I come across something I don't recognize, or don't know what it does, I do a man or Google query. (In a perfect world) _I_ am the master of what's going on in my system.

But, I trust these excito guys (even after they beat us 3-0 in hockey today). So, I'm sure they have a valid reason for being there.