New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Undelete a file on Samba share?

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
trencarbe

Undelete a file on Samba share?

Post by trencarbe »

Hi,

I have a Samba share from BubbaTwo on WinXP.
How do I an undelete on a accidentally deleted file that is/was on the Samba share??

/TC
RandomUsername

Re: Undelete a file on Samba share?

Post by RandomUsername »

It's not easy - it wouldn't be sent to Trash / Recycle Bin.

You'll need to pull the disk out, put it in another working system and try to use some recovery software on it (plus, don't let anything else write to the disk in the meantime).

You'll need to use a Linux box (download a live CD if necessary) because the disk will be formatted with Ext3 (?). There are Ext3 drivers for Windows but how well these would work for file recovery I wouldn't like to say.

I've had amazing success using Photrec a couple of times* - I followed this tutorial - http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntucat/rec ... etedfiles/

*Heart warming story: My Dad went on a four month trip basically travelling from the UK to Shanghai on a train via Paris and Moscow. He had taken loads of photos and transferred them to CD when his camera filled up. He went into the Nepalese mountains where the cold made all his CDs crack - about ten of them. When he got back, his Windows PC wouldn't even acknowledge the fact that he'd inserted a CD when he tried them. Using Photorec on my Ubuntu box I recovered well over 90% of his photos. It's amazing software.
trencarbe

Post by trencarbe »

So it not sufficient to run Photrec through the Samba share?
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

trencarbe wrote:So it not sufficient to run Photrec through the Samba share?
Do you know, that never occurred to me. I shouldn't think it would work because photorec looks at the physical disk structure. It ignores the filesystem In case the filesystem is knackered (it also allows file recovery even if the disk has been formatted).

That said, I can't see any harm in trying it. You could also have a look on the photorec website or try searching for any software specifically written to recover files from network shares. I'd be interested in any results.