New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Bacula on Bubba|2

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
rlevas

Bacula on Bubba|2

Post by rlevas »

Has anyone used Bacula on the Bubba|2?

I used it on the server that I swapped out for the Bubba and would like to use it again but am not sure if the Bubba|2 can handle it. Obviously it has an issue with the "built-in" backup facility - Duplicity (or something like that).

If I dont hear something soon, I will just go ahead and try it and post my results back.

Thanks,
Rob
rlevas

Re: Bacula on Bubba|2 UPDATE

Post by rlevas »

Since I didn’t get any replies, I decided to go ahead and make the sacrifice.... here’s the deal.

Bacula appears to work fine – but slow. I am a bit disappointed that the version of Bacula is a bit behind the version that Ubuntu uses, but there appears to be little to no incompatibilities – Bubba|2 uses version 1.38.11-8 and Ubuntu uses 2.4.4-1.

The setup of Bacula can be a pain, but I had it configured for my previous setup of two Ubuntu servers – one used as the backup machine onto a USB drive. The Bubba|2 replaced my backup machine so it is now the Bacula director. After a week of running it, it appears to work great – much faster than the built-in backup facility that comes with the Bubba|2. I don’t have exact throughput numbers but the full backup of my Bubba|2, which yielded a 72GB file took about 7 hours to complete. That is slow, but the other facility – duplicity – failed to complete the task in over a day – I killed it before it actually finished.

Well I hope this helps someone out. If you need help configuring Bacula, let me know. I am not an expert, but my configuration appears to work and I believe has worked for me for a few years now.

Rob
asparak

Re: Bacula on Bubba|2

Post by asparak »

Stick a how-to in the Wiki, so that people can use it. Duplicity is a pain, which is why I gave up on it and use rsync instead, but bacula is a more user friendly option for the non geeks amongst us :)