New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Remote desktop to PCs behind BUBBA.

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
LeffePeffe

Remote desktop to PCs behind BUBBA.

Post by LeffePeffe »

Hi all!

I would like to run Remote Desktop from the outside (which is my work) to several PC's on my home network.
I can open port 3389 in the Bubba Firewall and that would allow me to run Remote Desktop to my network.

From the outside I initiate a Remote Desktop session by entering my WAN-IPaddress which is a static one given by my ISP. The question is how do I single out a particular PC on myinternal network that I want to connect to? I guess I have to use the PCs IPaddress 192.168.10.x together with the WAN-IPaddress but I do not know exactly how.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks / Leffe
RandomUsername

Re: Remote desktop to PCs behind BUBBA.

Post by RandomUsername »

In the Bubba's firewall config you have to forward the port to the internal IP address. If you want to be able to remote into multiple PCs then you'd need to forward different ports to different PCs.

But...if you're talking about using the built in Windows RDP client I don't think you can configure the port you use. Also, I don't think the traffic is encrypted so I would recommend against using it across the Internet.

You'd need to set up a Terminal Services gateway but whether that's do-able with the Bubba I've no idea.
asparak

Post by asparak »

vncserver works quite well, just open up you port on the firewall, so data can flow. You can also tunnel your vnc over SSH, if you want to avoid opening up lots of ports.
RDP is a bit messy as you can't pre-select the port you want open AFAIK
Fourwinds

Post by Fourwinds »

Using VNC over SSH is a very good solution .. I have used this several times ... The Way I do it is as follows:

Assume PC (called 'pc' in bubba hosts (or 192.168.1.3) running VNC on :0 (5800)
User on Bubba of: fourwinds
Bubba Name: bubba.excito.com

1, Open up an ssh tunnel including port forwarding:

ssh -L <localport>:<remote machine address>:<remote machine port> <user>@<ssh server>

2, Use vncviewer to connect to the local port:

------------------------------
Using port :0 on vncviewer on local machine using pc name

1, ssh -L 5800:pc:5800 fourwinds@bubba.excito.com
2, vncviewer :0

Using port :1 on vncviewer on local machine using pc ip

1, ssh -L 5801:192.168.1.3:5800 fourwinds@bubba.excito.com
2, vncviewer :1

LeffePeffe

Post by LeffePeffe »

Thanks for the suggestions.

I looked at RealVNC free edition but as far as I understand it the traffic is not encrypted in the free version. I also looked at UltraVNC where it is possible to get encrypted traffic if you install a encryption module.

What would be the benefit of using VNC over SSH?

Regards / Leffe
asparak

Post by asparak »

In simple terms, its encrypted over the SSH part and you don't have to mess with your firewall or setup.
Fourwinds

Post by Fourwinds »

VNC is not itself encrypted, but the SSH tunnel is encrypted ... What this means is that you end up using encryption over the internet portion then using unencrypted over your lan (behind the bubba firewall)