New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Bubba backup ... not working ??

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
Henri

Bubba backup ... not working ??

Post by Henri »

Problem with Bubba backup feature.

About a week ago I set up Bubba to make backups of its files to an external eSATA hard drive.
Few days ago I decided to test how does the backup restore work. It didn't. :(

Bubba's restore page at web-GUI announced that backups were succesful. There were backups logged in the list for once a day as they were schedualed. There were no files listed in a column that should list files/folders that were backed up.

After the failed backup restore, I did some tests and managed to found a log that is updated during backup process, while files are written to ...(hopefully) somewhere.
/var/log/backup...

The beginning of log file.

Code: Select all

NOTICE 1
. Reading globbing filelist /home/admin/.backup/daily_backup/excludeglob.list
NOTICE 1
. Reading globbing filelist /home/admin/.backup/daily_backup/includeglob.list
NOTICE 1
. Last full backup date: none
NOTICE 1
. Last full backup is too old, forcing full backup
This was a first backup (full backup), so there are lots of files to process.

The end of log file.

--------------[ Backup Statistics ]--------------
StartTime 1269797770.76 (Sun Mar 28 20:36:10 2010)
EndTime 1269838940.88 (Mon Mar 29 08:02:20 2010)
ElapsedTime 41170.13 (11 hours 26 minutes 10.13 seconds)
SourceFiles 0
SourceFileSize 20866602608 (19.4 GB)
NewFiles 0
NewFileSize 0 (0 bytes)
DeletedFiles 0
ChangedFiles 0
ChangedFileSize 0 (0 bytes)
ChangedDeltaSize 0 (0 bytes)
DeltaEntries 0
RawDeltaSize 20844750448 (19.4 GB)
TotalDestinationSizeChange 15297888906 (14.2 GB)
Errors 0
-------------------------------------------------
If I interpret this information right, it took 11 hours to process about 20 GB of files and there were no errors.
I wonder why is there nothing to restore in the external hard drive. Where did the backup file go ???
External hard drive has only three small files: logfile, removefull and cleanup file.

Have I done something wrong :?:

Has anyone else tried backup feature lately ? Did it work :?:

This is scary... no RAID, no working backups ... and just when I thought I could stop fiddling with the harware and put it to use :roll:

bubba ver. 1.3.1. External e-SATA hard drive was formatted by Bubba (ext3) before backups were schedualed.
RandomUsername

Re: Bubba backup ... not working ??

Post by RandomUsername »

There's a few posts about the backup interface in the forum if you do a search (a lot of them by me because I was very disappointed with it and it's very slow and buggy).

I'm now using rsync for backups and there's a recent post about someone using Bacula. I haven't tried the Bubba's built in interface for a while but it doesn't sound like it's improved with recent updates.
Henri

Post by Henri »

Thanks RandomUsername.

I'll do a search and see about that.

I don't mind if the backup is slow or buggy, If it just does what it is suppose to do.
Make the damn BACKUPS ! without need for constant supervision.
Henri

Re: Bubba backup ... not working with files > 2Gb !!

Post by Henri »

No help found for the problem from forum postings.

I've been making few test with backup.

Seems that small updates work and when amount of backup data grows in some point backup fails.
Even if the backup fails there is no apparent error given. Only when you try to restore files there is nothing to restore.... not a nice thing.

Backup has so far worked with up to 2,3 Gb of files and failed when there are files 4,4 Gb or over.

I was thinking if this could be something like Bubba is running out of disk space. If Bubba uses 10 Gb system partition to process backup package, maybe there is not enough room to handle the backup file and operation is failing because of that. Still there is no error message which is strange.

There is also this thing with backup interface about missing progress indicator.
When you go to File manager/Restore and choose the target to be restored. If there is large amount of files you may have to wait for a long time before list of restored files is displayed.

How can one tell how long do you need to wait for that list to appear, when there is no indicator telling that something is happening :twisted:
This lack of progress indicator with a bit slow interface of backup function makes using of backup function a kind of tricky !

Could Excito team please point some interest with this problem !!

The user interface is very nice now :D I hope that things under the bonnet will be also finished off soon.
Henri

Post by Henri »

Did some more pin pointing to find out how much files you can backup before failure.
Backup fails when the amount of back up files is between 2,3Gb... 3Gb.

INFO 1
. Using temporary directory /home/admin/.backup/aj_koe10/archives/duplicity-UZCud0-tempdir

--------------[ Backup Statistics ]--------------
StartTime 1271737611.62 (Tue Apr 20 07:26:51 2010)
EndTime 1271742622.22 (Tue Apr 20 08:50:22 2010)
ElapsedTime 5010.60 (1 hour 23 minutes 30.60 seconds)
SourceFiles 0
SourceFileSize 3220983035 (3.00 GB)
NewFiles 0
NewFileSize 0 (0 bytes)
DeletedFiles 0
ChangedFiles 0
ChangedFileSize 0 (0 bytes)
ChangedDeltaSize 0 (0 bytes)
DeltaEntries 0
RawDeltaSize 3216841979 (3.00 GB)
TotalDestinationSizeChange 2138862618 (1.99 GB)
Errors 0
-------------------------------------------------
Going to FIle manager/restore page and selecting backup recent backup job to restore and there is nothing to restore.

The following lines are always written in the syslog, when backup is starting.
Bubba is using external eSATA drive as a backup drive.

bubba kernel: EXT3-fs: Unrecognized mount option "gid=100" or missing value
bubba kernel: kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
bubba kernel: EXT3 FS on sdb1, internal journal
bubba kernel: EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with writeback data mode.

Software ver. 2.00
asparak

Post by asparak »

Not trying to teach you to suck eggs here, but how is your eSata disk formatted. Commonest cause of backups to fail at around 2.4GB is because its FAT32, as that is the theoretical limit of FAT32.
Henri

Post by Henri »

That's okay. Thank you for the help.

I have formatted external hard drive with Bubba's format command. I believe the disk is in ext3 file format.
There should not be such restrictions about file size with Ext3, should there ?
JDR

Post by JDR »

It is indeed a pitty that the Bubba backup and restore still don't work.
As far as I can see on the forum this issue has been posted first about a year ago.
and what is even worse ... when you send an e-mail to the support they don't even reply ....

Raid 1 does work, I use the B3 and the BS.

Quoting another user :
Could Excito team please point some interest with this problem !!
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

Can you please read the log files for duplicity? They're in /var/log/backup/

I just noticed that the password for remote duplicity backups can be read plaintext from the ps command :)
Henri

Post by Henri »

I send an email inquiry about this problem to excito .... less than year ago :)

The Excito team replied that the problem is with GUI. GUI is not capable of handling large amount of files. I got an impression that the backup itself is working but you just cannot check or restore backups using GUI.
The Excito guy told also that he cannot give an exact date when this problem is going to be fixed.
Well, it is taking rather long indeed. I hope this problem has not been buried for good :cry:

There are many articles here in Excito forum, which explain how to use rsync and such for making back ups.
Unfortunately these operations doesn't work with Bubba's GUI, instead you need to use command line. That is why you cannot expect regular Windows user to be able to restore backup with just a few click of a mouse, which would be the most care free and ideal situation.