New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Network failure

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
Hammer

Network failure

Post by Hammer »

My B2 does not connect to either WAN or LAN.

Started when I changed the network settings to full auto and rebooted.
Now no access to internet, nor to Bubba.
B2 doesn't synch up to show traffic on the yellow LED on network port, but green LED is flashing.

Downed B2, removed all network cables, started it and waited a few minutes. According to manual it should now have 192.168.10.1.
Inserted network cable from my PC to LAN port on B2.
Set my PC to 192.168.10.10 and tried connecting http://bubba. Tried ping 192.168.10.1. No go.
Tried arp -a, but no 192.168.10.1.
Yellow LED inactive.

Tried different versions of above, for instance WAN cable in WAN port and cold start, still no network traffic, yellow LED, on B2.

Suspecting that network has broken on the unit, what to do?
Or other advice?

/Hammer
Henri

Re: Network failure

Post by Henri »

Hi

Since I don't know how experienced you are with Bubba and networking, I might be telling things that you know already.

I have encountered similar connection problems after reinstalling Bubba's software. There has not been anything wrong with Bubba. It has just been my PC's fixed IP settings that had to reset and set to DHCP in order to get connection back.

If I use fixed IP settings I need to set Bubba's IP address as to my PC's gateway and DNS address. Otherwise I can't get Linux connected to Bubba.

The most reliable way to connect Bubba has been so far by using Bubba's IP address. http://bubba.local might work but I prefer just direct IP address.

You did not mention if you were using switch between your Bubba and PC when Bubba was working ?
You probably know that connecting to Bubba directly or through switch might need a different Ethernet cable. I believe there is no automatic MDI/MDI-X switching mechanism in the Bubba's Ethernet port, so it makes a difference if you are using either straight or crossover Ethernet cable.
I believe there should be a crossover cable between PC and Bubba.

According the manual, the lights in Bubba's Ethernet port indicate if you are connected at 100Mb or 1Gb. Looking Bubba from the back, left lights indicate 100Mb connection and right 1Gb connection.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

Thanks Henri,

Everything is dynamic, I have used B2 DHCP.
It was connected to my broadband router on the WAN port, and its LAN port to my 16 port gigabit switch, to which also everything else on my LAN is connected.

The Bubba just isn't visible on the network.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

IS THERE NO WAY TO RESET THE BUBBA'S IP WITHOUT DELETING THE WHOLE DISK?
I'm about 2mm from throwing the goddamn thing out the window.
asparak

Post by asparak »

Follow the instructions on the forum to create a bootable USB rescue disk. This will then enable you to log in to the system via SSH and see what is going on.