New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Missing favicon.ico on new ver. 2 install from USB image

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
JC

Missing favicon.ico on new ver. 2 install from USB image

Post by JC »

Hey,

Yesterday I did a fresh install of my B2, which went pretty smooth I think. The server seems to run fine, and the new interface is certainly a great improvement - thanks you guys for this update. :D

A small BUG seems to have come along by reinstalling from the USB image, as there doesn't seem to be any content in /home/web any more - apart from the redirecting index.html of curse. In my apache log I found this error:
[Mon May 03 01:05:41 2010] [error] [client 192.168.0.17] File does not exist: /home/web/favicon.ico

Using a backup of the previous ver.1.x I found the favicon.ico file, and restored it to the /home/web folder. Restarting the browser, and got the nice little excito logo back in the browsers addressbar and in bookmarks.

Shouldn't this file have been installed by automatically by the USB image anyway ?
heikki

Re: Missing favicon.ico on new ver. 2 install from USB image

Post by heikki »

This problems still has not been fixed. Running software version 2.2.0 on B3.

I created my own favicon and put it into /home/web. If the idea is for owners to provide their own favicons, this should be properly documented.
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

favicon is an option, not a requirement. Many websites do not have one, there is no RFC dictating one either. However, because some browsers ask for one, apache logs the 404 because it's not there.
AzP

Post by AzP »

I think a favicon is nice since it makes you bookmark stand out. And it takes about 10 minutes to make one :D
johannes

Post by johannes »

This is actually a bug, we used to have one but it apparently dissapeared in one of our updates. Since some browsers cache this hard we haven't noticed it being gone on any of our test machines.

We'll attach it to the next installer release, and for you who want to add it manually, here is ours.

Thanks for noticing and letting us know!
Attachments

[The extension ico has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)