New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Syncrify backup software

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
jebster

Syncrify backup software

Post by jebster »

I'm looking to set up an incremental remote backup solution for large truecrypt container files (e.g. 20gb), backing up from a windows client to bubba2.

I came across a new product from the company that makes deltacopy - it's called syncrify (http://web.synametrics.com/Syncrify.htm) and think it fits the bill perfectly.

It requires java, so I've managed to install ibm java runtime v1.6 on bubba2, thanks to some forum searches here (and google is your friend too).

There is a linux install file for the syncrify server. I can get all the way to the end of the install, where it tries to start the syncrify file manager. It then aborts with "cannot execute binary file" on line 160 of the script (/etc/init.d/syncrify).

Apparently the "wrapper" binary file will not execute. It does so without problems on my x86 laptop running ubuntu 9.10, so I'm guessing it's something to do with trying to execute this on a powerpc platform.

Any workarounds or suggestions gratefully received - thanks!
eds_oyo

Re: Syncrify backup software

Post by eds_oyo »

But what makes synchrify so great? Personally I think backup via a web site is just a hassle. I favour a solution with a small client that runs as a service and supports ftp transfer. E.g. Cobian backup.

Backup is boring, so the less backup-related tasks i have to do and backup apps i need to see the better. :P
jebster

Post by jebster »

I'll check out Cobian backup, but the specific feature I'm looking for is the incremental backup of very large files, remotely. E.g. if there is a difference of 100K between the backup copy and new version of a 20GB file, only 100K gets transferred to update the backup.

I think this means a backup solution which has both a client and server to offer that functionality - and given I'm looking to do this on my bubba2, the server side should run on bubba2.
pindakoe

Post by pindakoe »

Do you know duplicity? I think this fits the bill (i.e. off-site backup, only upload delta's, encrypt on client not on server), but I haven't had the time yet to try this out.
Melba2010

Post by Melba2010 »

Syncrify Backup software pertains to bandwidth and storage needs which is why it is also taken into consideration. A regular PC used for business has approximately of extremely important data, a major increase from Most of this data is archived e-mails, the type that are kept in case users need to refer to them at a later date.Syncrify Backup software is something that is so inexpensive and easy to use that you should always use it on your computer.

ESXi Backup Software
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

It seems we've got a reply from a representative from Syncrify? (at least it seems that way from the sales pitch)
It would have been nice if you'd provided answers to the obvious questions:
1. Do your downloads only require Java, or are they binaries precompiled for a specific CPU?
2. If they are compiled for x86, can we get ARM or PowerPC binaries as well?
3. If they only require Java, will they work with the "ibm java runtime v1.6" that the poster mentioned in his/her post more than 6 months ago?

Any follow-up questions would have been more useful than a presentation of the product the would-be user was already sold on, but of course if you can provide the answers I'm sure he/she will appreciate it (if he/she is still around) :-)
jebster

Post by jebster »

Yes, this thread is almost 4 years old - but it came up in a search I did recently so thought I should post the solution I eventually went with for the client / server backup needs I described above.

Never got syncrify to work. But then I found an adaptation of an rsync-based rotating incremental backup solution called Snapback2. Search cpan for Snapback2 for the latest version.

After investing the time needed to set it up and configure it, it's been running fine on my b3 now for years.
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

At the very least he did not make up the sales pitch himself:
http://ezinearticles.com/?Why-is-Remote ... id=2970132
A regular PC used for business has approximately 10GB of extremely important data, a major increase from 500MB in 2000. Most of this data is archived e-mails, the type that are kept in case users need to refer to them at a later date. .