New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Bubba2 printing problem

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
makevin

Bubba2 printing problem

Post by makevin »

Hi,

I have a Brother HL-2035 connected to my B2. I added the printer through the admin web interface and it is found in CUPS, seemingly OK. The printer is also found by various computers connected to the network. However, when printing, the Ready LED on the printer flashes and nothing happens. The CUPS error log gives me the following message:

E [23/Aug/2010:11:00:40 +0300] [Job 31] Unable to write print data: Input/output error

However, if I press the Go button the printer will print appr 1/4 of the page and occasionally when reprinting the same page, it will actually print the entire page without errors. But successful printing only occurs after an initial failed print. :?:

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Marcus
pindakoe

Re: Bubba2 printing problem

Post by pindakoe »

I have almost exactly the same problem, but with an HP Laserjet 1010. Typical scenario is that I print, lights starts (and never stops) flashing. Pressing buttons doesn't change this, but re-submitting same document does mostly (but not always), result in an error page along the lines "PCL XL error, subsystem Kernel, Error: illegal tag". The error gives varying tags and positions. Printing the same document a third time usually (again not always) results in the final print. This print is also correct. The whole circus mostly starts from beginning for the next job. Note: the CUPS error is accompanied by an USB error in syslog that suggest something is not correct with the connection:

Code: Select all

Jul 18 14:56:19 bubba kernel: usblp0: nonzero write bulk status received: -71
Moving the printer to another host confirms it is printing fine, so printer and USB cable work. The other host is also running Linux albeit with different versions of CUPS (1.4.3 and 1.3.10 -- this host got upgraded; both worked). The problem appears irrespective from the client that prints to Bubba (Win 7, Win XP, Mandriva 2010.1). Trying same printer with another USB cable gives same result.

I have been googling, see some similar error messages, but have no idea what is wrong. Anybody who can post exact configuration that they have both on client and bubba?
john coyne

Post by john coyne »

I am now experiencing similar problems when I send a print job to Bubba2. Printing used to work fine, but now shows the symptoms of an incomplete document and a printer which continues to flash, thinking it is in the middle of a job.

Because printing used to be fine until about 2 weeks ago I wonder if there's been a widespread break-in?

Looking at /var/log/cups/error_log I see "[Job 153] Unable to write print data: Input/output error"
But if I look at the print job history (using http://bubba.local:631 - CUPS admin) it tells me that Job 153 is complete.

Printing from Bubba2 itself is worse, using lp from the command line or printing a Test Page from CUPS admin. In those cases the jobs silently vanish, but the jobs history shows them as completed and no errors appear on /var/log/cups/error_log

My USB cable and printer also work fine on another (Ubuntu) machine using CUPS.

John Coyne, Liverpool
john coyne

Post by john coyne »

Just to say, this problem has gone away after a support call to Excito.
I got help with doing a Software Update and the printing problem disappeared. i.e. I could re-install Bubba's printer queue on my client computers and print.

On Bubba itself lp still didn't work and Excito explained that as follows:-

lp from the command line does not work since the driver for the printer
is not installed on bubba. Bubba exposes a "raw" printer, and the driver
needs to be installed on the PC using the printer.