New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Print Server for B2 does not work

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
searli

Print Server for B2 does not work

Post by searli »

Hi there,

I have succcessfully been able to add a printer (can see it via Samba and also in Cups http://bubba:631). I have also been able to install the printer on the Windows laptops (one Vista and one XP). However when I try to print i get no response ... the document appears in the queue but does not get processed. In the Cups error log I get the following lines:

Code: Select all

E [07/Nov/2010:14:27:24 +0000] encrypt_client: Unable to encrypt connection from 192.168.1.3!
E [07/Nov/2010:14:27:24 +0000] encrypt_client: A TLS packet with unexpected length was received.
Any ideas - thank you
pcrene

Re: Print Server for B2 does not work

Post by pcrene »

Hello searli,

Had the same experience with B3 and B2 with my HP Laserjet 4L.

My solution was to remove the printer in the Admin window and then adding the printer in CUPS.
Then every one here could print.

Rene
B3 1T + B-Stor 2T, B2 1T as backup
40 users active....
Opensat4all.Com
searli

:evil: Re: Print Server for B2 does not work

Post by searli »

I am getting very hacked off with this :evil: ... it should be a simpler thing to add a printer - but I can simply not get BUBBA2 to play nice with my printer ...

This is what I do ...
1. Add New printer in Cups
2. Select Device: AppSocket/HP JetDirect
3. Device URI: socket://bubba
4. Make: Raw
5. Model: Raw Queue (en)
6. Add Printer

I get following error message:

426 Upgrade Required
You must access this page using the URL https://192.168.1.4:631/admin.
Now I continue to do the same step again with this URL https://192.168.1.4:631/admin and the CUPS server simply hangs at step 4 ... I simply can't add the printer ...

And the only message I get in the CUPS error log (via the Bubba Web interface) is
E [11/Nov/2010:20:17:29 +0000] CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer: Unauthorized

But I am logged in as admin ... it should not let me add any printers in the first place if I was not authorised ...
searli

Post by searli »

Ok ... I seem to have cracked it and it works, sort of. Now I have the problem that it seems to take a very long time to print a simple one page document. Microsoft Word and Openoffice take quet long to bring up the printer dialog (Applications when clicked on say "Not Responding") and then when the printer dialog finally comes up and click on print it takes quiet a while till the job is in the windows queue and then another while till the job is in the CUPS queue on the server (all in all it takes about 2 minutes before it prints one page)

Description: HP Photosmart C4485 Office
Printer Driver: Local Raw Printer
Printer State: idle, accepting jobs, published. 
Device URI: usb://HP/Photosmart%20C4400%20series?serial=TH89RH21JX05BN
einar

Post by einar »

The server hangs when you try to log in because it's trying to generate the certificates (HTTPS) but the Bubba 2's system is mostly idle, and thus it can't generate enough entropy. This is fixed by logging in via SSH and do something disk intensive like listing dirs and so on for a while. This will provide enough entropy to generate the certificate.

And I'd suggest to use the CUPS web interface after installing the foomatic-filters-ppds packages (aptitude install foomatic-filters-ppds as root). This way you won't need to set a raw queue to your printer, but use a proper driver (and CUPS has many): I can't really understand why Excito decided to bypass the CUPS drivers and go for a raw queue...

The downside is that you should do the management of the printer and the jobs from the CUPS web admin, and not from the Bubba admin interface.