New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

B3 and Mediatomb

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
Wildboy

B3 and Mediatomb

Post by Wildboy »

Hey!

I've searched this forum and read the manual but can't get this right. I'm very new to network "stuff" and just bought my B3 so please be patient since I'm a beginner! :D

When I browse to Mediatomb by typing this http://b3:49152 I do find all directories etc. But the files I've put in home/storage/video don't show up in Mediatomb? Other videofiles show up in these directories:
home/storage/music/Movies
home/storage/pictures

Doesn't Mediatomb "see" the home/storage/video folder?

Also my PS3 couldn't find the files stored in home/storage/video since I connected PS3 through Mediatomb but it found the videos in the other folders mentioned above.

Another question, I just upgraded to version 2.2 and now my PS3 can't find the Bubba mediaserver. I guess it is "indexing"/updating something right? Hopefully my PS3 will find it later.

Cheers,
Peter
philgaskin

Re: B3 and Mediatomb

Post by philgaskin »

Peter,
I'm kind of new to it all as well but I did reload my B3 for the third time yesterday (a long story). Anyway, I hadn't used mediatomb and couldn't get in from a browser using port 49152, so I looked in the mediatomb log file (from B3 Admin>Settings>Logs>mediatomb.log) and discovered the following errors:

Code: Select all

ERROR: The connection to the MySQL database has failed: mysql_error (1045): "Access denied for user 'mediatomb'@'localhost' (using password: YES)"
I hadn't done anything with mysql, so all passwords were default and I decided to try and log in to mysql as the mediatomb user. You can find the configuration file in /etc/mediatomb/config.xml (it includes the mediatomb user names and passwords for both linux and mysql). As I expected, mysql wouldn't accept the password that was in the config.xml file, so I changed the mysql mediatomb user password to match the config.xml file as below:

Code: Select all

su
mysql
SET PASSWORD FOR 'mediatomb'@'localhost' = PASSWORD('rDI5IDNOSnoQ');
quit
You will need to enter the root password following the su command (default is excito)
The rDI5IDNOSnoQ is the password in my /etc/mediatomb/config.xml file. I imagine it is the same for all B3s. but I would check first.

Anyway it worked for me and now everything is OK although I am still not sure why the password didn't work following the reload.

Phil.
Wildboy

Post by Wildboy »

Hey Phil!

Thanks a lot! :D You sure doesn't look like a beginner to me!!! 8) I really don't have any experiense of programming but I will look into this and see what I can find. I guess I will have to find the files you mention first and take it from there. I have a friend that's really good with this stuff but he's not home until beginning of December.

Once again, thanks and I'll try to follow your guide!

Cheers,
Peter
Wildboy

Post by Wildboy »

Noticed another strange thing, at least to me. I have my old PC connected with a network cable to the B3 and my MacBook is in contact through wireless with the B3. I can copy files from my Mac to all folders on the B3 including the public/storage/video folder. I can copy files from my PC to all folders except the public/storage/video folder?

Let's say I try to copy an mpg video file from my PC to the video folder of the B3 I just get the error message that the file is either write protected or the destination disc is full. When I try to copy the very same file to any other folder on the B3 (music, photos...) it works! Anyone have a clue?

Phil,
I can not find the /etc/mediatomb/config.xml in Mediatomb. I guess I should find it under the Filesystem folder structure? /etc/mediatomb folder is empty.

Sorry for asking these questions, but I'm a total beginner... :)

Cheers,
Peter
philgaskin

Post by philgaskin »

Peter,
First of all I would check to see if you have the same error in the mediatomb log (from the B3 admin pages choose Settings>Logs and then select Mediatomb.log and click show). If you don't see any Access Denied errors then I don't think you have the same problem as me.
However if you do, you will need to use an SSH access tool such as Putty (which I use). Take a look at http://wiki.excito.org/wiki/index.php/T ... er_via_SSH
You will need to understand some basic UNIX commands to use it (ls, cd etc.).
Phil.