New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

B3 Network dies

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
Hammer

B3 Network dies

Post by Hammer »

Have a B3 wifi.

From time to time the B3 drops all connected computers so they can't access it or the internet.
This is usually fixed by ipconfig /renew, but today I had to hard boot the B3 by pulling the power cord. Didn't even react to the power button.

This is getting annoying, have anyone else experienced these network fallouts?

/Hammer
Cheeseboy

Re: B3 Network dies

Post by Cheeseboy »

Hi Hammer,

Yes. At least the second scenario you describe.
When it has happened to me, I have been unable to make it recover without pulling the plug.
See http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2697

Best regards,

/Cheeseboy
philgaskin

Post by philgaskin »

Hi Hammer,

Yes I too have the problems that you describe http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2654
It is very frustrating as there are no errors reported anywhere. I am only trying to run a home network and getting many complaints of dropped connections. Once I realised it wasn't just me, I emailed support@excito.com who are looking at it.
The problem is it is very difficult to find a way of recording when it happens.

I also have a wifi model. Can anyone confirm whether it happens on a non-wifi B3?

Phil.
Nrde

Post by Nrde »

I c<an confirm my B3 drops network connections also. Wifi model...

After reboot it stayed "online" for couple of minutes and then the same thing happened.

going to try vm.min_free_kbytes = 4096 next and see if it helps.

If not I would like to have a comment if there's going to be a fix. Otherwise B3 as a router is kind of dead weight and useless.
philgaskin

Post by philgaskin »

I already set mine to 8192 and still get the same issues. Losing routing several times a day. Bizarrely the wifi and network connection isn't lost, it's just the routing between the WAN and B3.
I agree that we need some sort of official response from Excito because it is extremely frustrating and was sold to work as a router.
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

philgaskin wrote:I already set mine to 8192 and still get the same issues. Losing routing several times a day. Bizarrely the wifi and network connection isn't lost, it's just the routing between the WAN and B3.
I agree that we need some sort of official response from Excito because it is extremely frustrating and was sold to work as a router.
Yep, same thing here. After raising the min_free_kbytes to 8192 I've had very few complete crashes, but the routing seems to die for a while sometimes.

/Daniel
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

It seems there are several issues here.
When my B3 dies, the wifi and all other network interfaces seems to drop.
There is no way to contact it.
Obviously the B3 is the DNS, so I cannot access it by name, but it also refuses to respond to network traffic when I use the IP address.
And then it also fails to respond to me holding the shutdown button.

philgaskin, do you get the same behaviour?
I'm afraid that we all think it is the same issue, but we actually have different behaviours...
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Cheeseboy wrote:I'm afraid that we all think it is the same issue, but we actually have different behaviours...
I have two issues:

1. The B3 completely dies. I suddenly have no wireless connection at all and the brick doesn't respond to power button. I just have to pull the plug. This has happened to me about 5-6 times since I got the server.

2. The network seems to die sometimes. I'm not sure exactly what dies, it could be just the WAN routing. After some seconds it's back. Unfortunately the seconds are enought for vpn tunnels etc to die. This happens some times a day I would say.

/Daniel
philgaskin

Post by philgaskin »

Cheeseboy,

I have had the dropped wifi and non-response to reset twice since I got my B3. On a couple of occasions I have lost wifi without recovery and had to restart the wifi by /etc/init.d/hostapd restart

By far the biggest problem for me is the routing issue where I regularly lose LAN and wifi routing to the WAN port which as you say drops VPN, downloads, streaming video and causes browser network error responses. Sometimes this is several times a day and just like you mention, it recovers after 30 seconds or so.
When this happens, I get destination unreachable from a ping to the internet from an SSH terminal on the B3 itself which is why I'm now convinced that this is a WAN-LAN routing issue.
All network connections (WAN, LAN, Bridge and Wifi) show no errors, dropped packets or restarts.
On one occasion, I managed to get web browser access from one PC while getting a network error on another for the same URL. This took several minutes before both PCs could access the URL.
I hope that this helps Excito understand the problems.

Phil.
Asad

Post by Asad »

Does it indicate that the problem is software related or hardware related? Have you found a temporary fix?
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

Hi Phil (and others),

I'm going to take a step back from this.
I can only recommend that you contact the vendor.
I cannot see why we should try to solve this problem for them.
We have tried, but there has been no response from them.

Best of luck!

/Cheeseboy