New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Bubba two unreachable

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
tom.nijns

Bubba two unreachable

Post by tom.nijns »

My bubba two stopped working two days ago. The LED just keeps on blinking. Shutting it down, after trying to boot it, can only be done by unplugging the powercord.
I tried to use a rescue-stick as instructed. The LED blinks at 1Hz, but when I try to ssh into my bubba at the IP it got from my DHCP-server, al I get is no route to host. Pinging doesn't work either.
First of all, I hope my files are still there. Being a NAS, you kinda start trusting it and I don't have any other backup.
Ubi

Re: Bubba two unreachable

Post by Ubi »

first of all, Bubba just has a HD like your computer, and hard disks sometimes die. If the only copy of your files is on that single bubba HD, you're a bit silly.

second, unless things changed recently, the rescue bubba has a fixed IP address and not a dhcp derived one. But I may be mistaken on this!
ryz

Post by ryz »

There is several things that could be the problem. For one thing Bubba 2 can be really picky with which usb stick it works with. I ended up buying one from excito to get one that did work.

Have you configured the rescue stick correctly. Have you connected Bubba 2 correctly that it used the WAN port and not the LAN port. It sounds strange that Bubba would fetch an IP address but not respond to ping. It is was not an old binding that had not disappeared yet that you saw in your DHCP server?
Ubi wrote:second, unless things changed recently, the rescue bubba has a fixed IP address and not a dhcp derived one. But I may be mistaken on this
Nope the rescue system for bubba 2 uses an dynamic address.

If you are unable to connect to the Bubba you could always move the hard disk to an normal PC. Just be aware that the hard disk is in ext3 format which is not readable by Windows. Excito is also using an LWM to make thins even more complex. I think there has been some discussion on how to mount an Bubba 2 hard drive before in this forum but a quick search now did not come up with anything.
tom.nijns

Post by tom.nijns »

@ryz: thanks for the good reply

I tried two sticks, both without luck. Both gave the bubba an IP, but I couldn't reach it.
I ended up removing the drive from the bubba-case breaking the reset-button in the progress because one screw wouldn't turn.
Anyway, all my data is still intact en the log-files didn't show any errors in particular that could cause the problem. I'm going to try the reinstall, but first I have to get this 2TB on data somewhere else. Since big disks don't come cheap, at least not for me, I'll have to improvise somehow.