New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Are attempts to log in via web interface logged?

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
RandomUsername

Are attempts to log in via web interface logged?

Post by RandomUsername »

Hi all,

Does anyone know if attempts to log into the B2's web interface are logged anywhere? I assumed they'd be in auth.log but that doesn't seem to be the case.

A trawl through all my other log files would suggest that they're not but I'd like confirmation.

Thanks.

Darren.
Cheeseboy

Re: Are attempts to log in via web interface logged?

Post by Cheeseboy »

Hi Darren,

After some experiments, I concur.
No trace under /var/log anyway, either for a wrong password for an existing user, or a completely invalid combo.

I was starting to try to strace apache to find out what was going on, but then I realized I have no cause and I'm too tired, and I shouldn't get so involved again all the time...

Cheers,

Cheeseboy
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

Thanks for confirming. I wouldn't mind an indication if someone is repeatedly attempting to log on to my server. :(
6feet5

Post by 6feet5 »

Hi,

One way (may not be the best way, I wouldn't know since I'm no expert) is to add one line in the file "/usr/share/web-admin/admin/models/auth_model.php". Locate the "Login" method and go to the else-statement (where it says "do nothing on failed attempt") and add the following line (just above the "do nothing.."-comment, or just above the return statement)

Code: Select all

syslog( LOG_WARNING, "Failed login attempt: Tried to login as '$username' from {$_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']} (using '{$_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT']}')");
This will add a message to the "/var/log/messages" on each failed login attempt with some info that might be of interest.

As I mentioned, I'm no expert, so there may be security issues with this. And be sure to backup the file before you do anything :-)

/Johan
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

Thanks Johan, I'll look into giving that a try.
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

Works a treat. Thanks!
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

6feet5 wrote:

syslog( LOG_WARNING, "Failed login attempt: Tried to login as '$username' from {$_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']} (using '{$_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT']}')");
Can't really understand why nothing like this was there from the start. Could you send that code line to Excito and suggest that they put it in their official code?

/Daniel
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

i was thinking exactly that
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

Not taking credit for Johan's work but I've taken the liberty of sending this to Excito.

Cheers.

Darren.
Magnus

Post by Magnus »

Thanks for highlighting this. :)
Will add this as a feature request.
Magnus, Excito developer
www.excito.com
support@excito.com
kjellberg

Post by kjellberg »

Lovely!
If someone could just figure out a way to get rid of all the Cron printouts in the syslog aswell and the log would be really usefull! :wink:
6feet5

Post by 6feet5 »

Thanks Darren,

And while we wait for the official version, replace previous code with

openlog("web-admin", LOG_ODELAY, LOG_AUTHPRIV);
closelog();
This will make the log entry end up in /var/log/auth.log (which I think is the right place, correct me if I'm wrong). Also, the application will be identified as web-admin instead of the apache php module.

/Johan
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

Thanks Johan, I'll give it a whirl.

[EDIT]As this is going to get written to auth.log any ideas if this would show up in logwatch? If not, does anyone know how to add it?

[EDIT 2]It looked quite complicated at first but this: http://my.opera.com/Andrew%20Gregory/bl ... o-logwatch makes it sound quite simple. A simple script grepping auth.log for the appropriate output should be good enough.

[EDIT 3]With Johan's change it looks like these are now picked up by logwatch under the heading
Connections (secure-log) Begin
Sweet!
Last edited by RandomUsername on 08 Apr 2011, 19:34, edited 1 time in total.
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

Thanks!
Implemented.

Apr  9 00:30:29 b3 web-admin: Failed login attempt: Tried to login as 'monkey' from 192.168.10.65 (using 'Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-GB; rv:1.9.2.16) Gecko/20110323 Ubuntu/10.04 (lucid) Firefox/3.6.16')
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

As this is going to get written to auth.log any ideas if this would show up in logwatch?
I use logcheck. This is in the email I get from it, without any changes apart from the above:

Apr  9 00:30:29 b3 web-admin: Failed login attempt: Tried to login as 'monkey' from 192.168.10.65 (using 'Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-GB; rv:1.9.2.16) Gecko/20110323 Ubuntu/10.04 (lucid) Firefox/3.6.16')