New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

[Solved] Samsung ML 1640 printer not working on bubba 2

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
gatto

[Solved] Samsung ML 1640 printer not working on bubba 2

Post by gatto »

Hi All

I'm new here and I'm setting up a bubba 2 wireless as my home server.

As I would like to use it as printserver with my printer Samsung ML 1640, I tried to seti it up by myself.

First of all, to avoid any doubt, I had this printer working on debian 5.0 for a while, so it's not a problem of linux compatibility.

I attached the printer to the bubba 2 (USB), it recognizes the printer and allows me to add it through the web interface as Samsung ML-1640 series. I add it to the system and my pc (linux debian installed) sees it and installs it automatically.

As soon as I try to print a document, I see some blinking led and I hear some noise, but nothing gets printed.
I guess this is some cups package or file old or missing.

Accessing the Samba interface on bubba through port 631 shows all the jobs I launched as "pending"
here is the error in the log related to the last print request:

Code: Select all

E [06/Apr/2011:00:24:50 +0200] Unable to execute /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertosamsungspl: No such file or directory
E [06/Apr/2011:00:24:50 +0200] [Job 11] Unable to start filter "rastertosamsungspl" - No such file or directory.
Does anyone have some suggestion in order to solve this big issue? (a printing server is my first need to buy a bubba) I don't want to return my bubba!!!

Thanks a lot

Update:
I saw here http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Sam ... ng-ML-1640 that splix package would be needed.

I was not able to find it for etch, the one for lenny requires a different version of libc6

splix depends on libstdc++6 (>= 4.2-20070516); however:
  Version of libstdc++6 on system is 4.1.1-21.
dpkg: error processing splix (--install):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
 splix
don't know what to do
Last edited by gatto on 28 Apr 2011, 07:51, edited 1 time in total.
Cheeseboy

Re: Samsung ML 1640 printer not working on bubba 2

Post by Cheeseboy »

Hi gatto,

I had some issues getting my printer working as well.
I don't have an answer for you, just some general advice from my own experience:

- Do not use SMB

- Do not bother to get the printer driver installed on the server (my printer vendor graciously offered closed source Linux drivers, but only pre-compiled for x86, not ARM). You obviously already have a working driver on your client Linux PC.

- Use a format like this in your CUPS setup on your client PC:
ipp://bubba2/printers/brother

- If it still fails, get the bubba2 on the wired network to remove the WiFi variable of failure

Not much, I know, but I hope it might help.

Best regards,

Cheeseboy
gatto

Post by gatto »

thx for the suggestions, but I couldn't manage

already connected through cable
checking on cups, i had the printer installed through ipp
not even the test page from cups interface manages to get printed.

Though I obtained some progress,

due to the error stated in my previous message, I went looking for this file
/usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertosamsungspl
which I found in the driver provided by the vendor and copied in the mentioned folder

Still I can't print (as before I hear some noise from the printer, but it doesn't even take the paper)
but the job appears as completed in the cups interface and the message in the log is different

E [07/Apr/2011:00:14:03 +0200] CUPS-Delete-Printer: Unauthorized
E [07/Apr/2011:00:16:55 +0200] CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer: Unauthorized
E [07/Apr/2011:00:47:13 +0200] DNSServiceRegister failed with error -65537
E [07/Apr/2011:00:56:24 +0200] CUPS-Delete-Printer: Unauthorized
E [07/Apr/2011:00:56:47 +0200] CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer: Unauthorized
any hint??
gatto

Post by gatto »

Don't know if this migh interest.

After a couple of nights, I managed to get the printer working.

how?
couldn't really say.

I installed a bunch of packages from debian repos, among which many from gutenprint, foomatic and openprinting.org. Then I installed directly from cups, chosing the ML 1710 printer driver, as the one for ML 1640 was missing.

As soon as B2 sw upgrade is release, I'll reinstall and monitor better which are the needed packages.

Anyway, consider this solved.