New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Permissions: File and network

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
drewbb

Permissions: File and network

Post by drewbb »

Hi all

I have a 500GB USB HDD which when connected to my PC works as it should, read write etc.

Now I have got my B2 working I connected it via that.

If I access Home, for example, via a webpage, as admin and user, I get a login, which works, and I can access download etc but cannot change permissions from read only.

In File manager I have two options to access the files:

Option 1:
MS Windows Network - Excito - Bubba -
Home (this requires a login, both Admin and my user login and the passwords are not recognised)
Storage - extern - Disk_0 (which I can see, read only, everything)
Also under storage is Music, Pictures and Video and anything placed there is automatically made read only. However I can change the properties from read only, for example a photo album in Pictures, only for it to come back again.

Option 2:
Under Network Places - storage on bubba Miniserver (Bubba)
Storage - extern - Disk_0 (which I can see, read only, everything)
Also under storage is Music, Pictures and Video and anything placed there is automatically made read only. However I can change the properties from read only, for example a photo album in Pictures, only for it to come back again.

I actually want Option 1 so each user in the family has to login to access their home folder, but what I really want is to change the permissions!

I have not attempted to access it yet via my Linux box just Windows for now.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Drew
Cheeseboy

Re: Permissions: File and network

Post by Cheeseboy »

Hi Drew,

I'm not 100% sure I understand your question correctly, but here is what I assume and what my answer is based upon:
You connect a NTFS USB disk to your Bubba2, and you mount it using the Web Interface, and then it is read-only.

Answer:
In order to get read-write access to a NTFS volume you have to install the package ntfs-3g (if not installed already) and then manually mount the disk using the terminal. The web interface will only mount NTFS volumes as read-only.

Please let us know if I misunderstood you, and if so please include more details.

Best regards,

Cheeseboy
drewbb

Post by drewbb »

Thanks for that. I'll try and find out how to install that on the bubba.

Just a follow up question. Would this be required for a FAT dirive?

Thanks

Drew
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

Hi Drew,

I assume you have SSH access to your Bubba2.
To find out if it is installed, become root and:

Code: Select all

ntfs-3g
If you get a usage message, it is installed.
If not:

apt-get install ntfs-3g
If all is well, you need to create a mount point, which is a directory which will represent the new drive:

mkdir /home/storage/extern/myntfs
Then find out the device name of the USB drive. You will see it in the web interface under the "Disk" tab.
In this example it is /dev/sdb1

Mount it:

ntfs-3g /dev/sdb1 /home/storage/extern/myntfs
If all goes well, you should now have read/write access, and be able to see it from the web interface.

Don't forget to unmount it before pulling the plug:

umount /dev/sdb1
Best of luck!

Cheeseboy
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

Sorry, forgot to answer your question...
Would this be required for a FAT dirive?
No.
Madnick

Post by Madnick »

I have B3.
What I would like to do is to make a guest acount which only has access to certain file folders and not to for example music and pictures (or maybe as read only).
In the web interface I can not change the permissions of those folders, when I try, I only get an error saying "changing permissions failed" or something like that. All users have full read and write access to those folders.
Permissions to a newly created other folder can be changed with no problem though...
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

Hi Madnick,

Don't you get this option when clicking the padlock icon?
[picture removed since it is no longer formatted properly in the forum]

If that is not enough, you will have to get your hands dirty with the trusty old terminal...

Best regards,

Cheeseboy
Last edited by Cheeseboy on 08 Jun 2013, 09:14, edited 1 time in total.
Madnick

Post by Madnick »

That is the thingy yes. I have that option in padlock, but it just doesn't do anything but claiming "failed".
I know I have to do it from terminal now... but how... I have no idea...
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

OK, you should probably post a new thread rather than hijacking Drew's, which is about something else.
When you do your new post, please include as many details as you can, including your exact steps, and any error messages you get.
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

either I am misreading this, but it seems OP has issues trying to access a FAT drive. FAT has no permission system, so the restriction and thus the problem must be in the mount command
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

How could he have installed his Bubba onto a FAT drive? Is that even possible? :S
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

i thought he was trying to access data on an external Fat drive. I'm kinda sure that was the original issue here at least
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

i thought he was trying to access data on an external Fat drive. I'm kinda sure that was the original issue here at least
Yeah, but I thought it was NTFS. The OP never informed us about that.
It is very cryptic.
I never understood his two different options in the original post either...
axm

Post by axm »

Cheeseboy wrote: The web interface will only mount NTFS volumes as read-only.
... and it actually overwrites fstab with some old backup file, if it is told otherwise there - only on unmount though (Bubba 2). Confusing - giving up on automation once again.