New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Users can reach other users home folders

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
d_rylndr

Users can reach other users home folders

Post by d_rylndr »

Any user can reach everything on the b3-server, including other users home-folders.

How can I set rights so users can only reach their own home folders + storage/SHARES?

As admin (or any other user) I can't set permission on home folders through web-interface, option is greyed out. Permission change on /storage/SHARES does work.
Do I have to ssh into b3 and set permissions on each home folder manually?
There is no difference if user reach b3 through samba, web-interface or FTP.
RandomUsername

Re: Users can reach other users home folders

Post by RandomUsername »

Have you set up all the users through the web interface? I'm not sure that should happen.
d_rylndr

Post by d_rylndr »

Yes, I have.
No, I agree, I think it should not happen.
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

This is the default behaviour. That's why every users home directory contains a "private" folder. In that folder only the user is able to read. What you can do about this is running something like

Code: Select all

chmod -R og-rwx /home/username
(meaning recursively change so that group and others can't read, write or execute anything).

I'm not 100% sure this doesn't give any side effects though...

/Daniel
Binkem

Post by Binkem »

I would in my opinion be better if you could create different groups of users: users with broad access (all folders (except for 'private') and users who can only access the storage and their own folder.
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Binkem wrote:I would in my opinion be better if you could create different groups of users: users with broad access (all folders (except for 'private') and users who can only access the storage and their own folder.
Well, you can. But not through gui. Might be a good thing for Excito to put in there though. Send them a suggestion :wink:

/Daniel
d_rylndr

Post by d_rylndr »

I agree! The restricted group shouldn't even be able to see which other users there are on the server.

How can I create ftp-accounts with only access to home folder (and NOT to storage)?
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

d_rylndr wrote:I agree! The restricted group shouldn't even be able to see which other users there are on the server.

How can I create ftp-accounts with only access to home folder (and NOT to storage)?
Well, today storage is world readable, so you'd have to do something like

Code: Select all

chmod -R o-rwx /home/storage
...and then remove the restricted users from the "users" group by editing /etc/group. I'm not sure about the effects of this either though...

/Daniel
peter

Post by peter »

This is an 'old' problem, see my post below
http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?t=1280

I asked excito to change this.
Now I manually change some files after every update.
Since the updates are very small this is not a big job but it is very inconvenient.