New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

B2 CUPS, Print from Windows

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
scott-2

B2 CUPS, Print from Windows

Post by scott-2 »

Hello,

I have plugged in my printer (Brother MFC-8440) via USB to my Bubba2. I have successfully configured CUPS so that I can print a test page.

I'd like to print to this from a Windows XP box and a Windows 7 box on my LAN. From what I've read, there is more configuration I need to do. But I can't find any recent articles on the web about it. I'm assuming some of the grunt work has been automated, considering the differences between 2007 Debian forum posts and the awesome Bubba2.

I've tried to access the printer from Windows XP via Samba UNC path and IPP URL. Windows asks what kind of printer it is, presenting me with a menu of drivers. I'm not sure I am going down the right path. So, what steps are needed?

Is IPP a better choice than Samba? I know there are nuances to each one, what compromises does each one entail?
johannes

Re: B2 CUPS, Print from Windows

Post by johannes »

Just so we understand, did you try using the built-in printer server feature? Or did you configure cups manually?
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

Hi scott-2,

I had a similar setup on the very first bubba, when I still had windows machines at home.
You don't have to do any configuring on the bubba really, but you must install the printer drivers on each windows client that is to print on it.

I did this by putting the CD with drivers that came with the printer into each PC.
You should be able to set Samba up properly so that the windows client automatically can get the driver from the SMB share like a proper Windows printer server, but I never managed to get it to work. I have since given up trying as I no longer use Windows at home.

CUPS has worked flawlessly for me since I got the drivers installed on my workstations (first on Windows and later Ubuntu).

Best regards,

Cheeseboy
Last edited by Cheeseboy on 19 May 2011, 19:58, edited 1 time in total.
scott-2

Post by scott-2 »

Cheeseboy answered my question. All I need to do is find the right drivers. It's just a little tricky since the WIndows plug-n-play cannot detect the type of printer. I'll just get it from the manufacturer's website. Thanks!

Update: It is all working great! I'm really impressed that Bubba2 made it so easy.