New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

B3 as a Server for Sonos -> Problems for free

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
Kyruss

B3 as a Server for Sonos -> Problems for free

Post by Kyruss »

Hello,

I got my B3 a few days ago and since I have it, I'm trying to get it to work.

My first Problem was, that Sonos uses a Share like > \\b3\Music
But the B3 has only two top level shares, all others are like > \\b3\storage\music

This is not supported by Sonos. So You have to move down to the folder, through the folder structure. Not quite what I expected.

Why is there No User Interface Option to create a share, like on every € 100.- NAS? Like on a Linkstation...

Also the Samba Service is not starting every time on Boot. If You start it later on by turning it off and on again in the web interface or by command line, it works.

So I used ssh to create a folder, then made modifications to the smb.conf and at last some to the samba script.

Now I have a share \b3\musik and the Service is up and running.

BUT, I have payed around € 375.- for the B3 with a 500GB HD. :|

In my eyes a bit to much for what I have recived.

It is a really nice pice of Hardware, not that You get me wrong, but if I read Sonos support, I expect It to 100% and not that I'm having to open up several folders to reach my Goal.

But the biggest Pont is the problem with Samba and about that problem there are several Topics here. :?

So get Sambo to work out of the Box and a Option create Shares and You get a thumb up, for now, nice Hardware but the Software needs some improvement.

Just my 2cent.

Regards
Kyruss
Cheeseboy

Re: B3 as a Server for Sonos -> Problems for free

Post by Cheeseboy »

Hi Kyruss,

I'm not going to argue your points, as I'm sure they are valid.
But I think you have posted them in the wrong place.

Please check out the Enhancement Requests topic and also support@excito_dot_com

Cheers,

CheeseBoy
johannes

Post by johannes »

Points taken. The samba issue is investigated now, solution coming soon. The Sonos incomatibilty I wasn't aware of, we'll take that into account. We have several sonos users (and I tested myself without noticing this) - is this an incomatibility (i.e. it doesn't work without those shares?) or is it just inconvenient? Just so we know.Thanks.
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
cool_tko

Post by cool_tko »

Hi there

I love this product and would like to by a B3. But: I have a Sonos system and do not want to hack around in a Linux System.

Does this work now without problems or is it still a box for freaks only?

Regards,

Tom
johannes

Post by johannes »

We have several users running b3 for Sonos without problems and in fact one reseller selling them as a bundle, so this will work fine.

And yes, b3 is a box for freaks but not exclusively. :-)

sent from my android using tapatalk
Jockewhbg

Post by Jockewhbg »

I just threw out my Squeezebox and installed a Sonos system instead. What a difference. It works really good. No delays, No problems, Fast music indexing.

I understand the problem above but I would adress it more as a Sonos-problem. Why can´t they let you choose subfolders in your network share?
I have two folders under my storage\music folder. One with MP3´s of all my CD´s in sorted order. The other one contains a mix of unsorted MP3´s which I don´t want to put in my Sonos system. With the current configuration of the Sonos-system i can only choose a network share as \\bubba3\storage. No more. Only solution is to move all unsorted MP3´s to \home\xxxx\mp3. Or as someone did above and change the root share.

Regards

Jocke
Kyruss

Post by Kyruss »

Sorry, I don't see it that way.
A lot of Devices just can accesss a Share and not directliy a subfolder within it.
Also creating a share is no big deal and is just a normal config option, nothing extreamely special.
Even an old Linksys NSLU can do this........ :wink:
Jockewhbg

Post by Jockewhbg »

Sorry, I don't see it that way.
A lot of Devices just can accesss a Share and not directliy a subfolder within it.
Also creating a share is no big deal and is just a normal config option, nothing extreamely special.
Even an old Linksys NSLU can do this........
Well, I see your point more clearly now. I was only comparing with my old Squeezebox but then realized that even my very old Lacie network drive had the opportunity to share any folder. I also just realized how easy it was to make an additional share in the B3s smb.conf. Would be easy enough to add this function through the webinterface, I guess.
But I still stand for my opinion that Sonos could include the function in their system. But they seem to ignore the question on their forum which have been asked around for almost two years now. They could atleast give a straight answer if it´s possible or not.

/Jocke
johannes

Post by johannes »

While I understand this request for feature I just want to explain our stand in this:

We have chosen a slightly different approach to the folder structure and flexibility against other HDD or NAS'es, for the sole reason of making things simple. Instead of having an empty directly from factory and a lot of options with user groups, shares etc we have a pre-defined structure that works out of the box. A lot of our users really don't understand the concept of access rights management etc and our solution is appreciated there. Adding the option of another share would be quiet complex since we need to let the user select access rights as well, which is kind of complex for non-IT people. For the users that need this and understand the conecpt, the command line is not far away. :)

Right or wrong, but this is our concept. In the sonos case oru way is unfortunate and we'll consider adding this feature in a future release, just wanted to explain the background.