New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Extremely slow file transfer after 2.3 update?

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
Ubi

Re: Extremely slow file transfer after 2.3 update?

Post by Ubi »

if its a limitation of the cpu then your load should max out to >1
GodfatherB

Post by GodfatherB »

Nrde wrote:
RandomUsername wrote:So...could this be a limitation of the CPU? I would think the B3 has enough grunt to handle this. Could be dodgy drivers?
I get a lot faster speeds so it must be something related to your unit or environment.
What are your speeds?

I have a brand new B3, I only made initial configuration and update from 2.3.1. to 2.3.2 and am experiencing (in my opinion) rather slow transfer rates over WiFi. 2.4 GHz 20Mhz channel, n+g, roughly 2 to 3 MBytes/s in Win7 64 bit. The computer is on the same table as B3, roughly half a meter away.

Wired connection is fine (over 30MBytes/s).
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

Time to resurrect this thread once again.

I've finally found the time to do a fresh install of my B3 using the USB key that was supplied with it (version 2.1.99).

I configured the wi-fi with the following settings:

Code: Select all

2.4 GHz
Mixed Mode
40 Mhz
WPA 2
Channel 6
and achieved speeds over wifi with samba of approximately 5-6 MB/s reading and 8-9 MB/s writing.

I then performed an upgrade to version 2.3.2 and with the same wi-fi settings I'm currently transferring a file from the B3 to my laptop at about 400 KB/s.

So, not a hardware issue, possibly not an issue with Excito's software, but definitely an issue somewhere - maybe a driver or something. Any comment Johannes and co?
Last edited by RandomUsername on 22 Jan 2012, 17:48, edited 2 times in total.
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

Double post, naughty me.

So I just changed the distribution to Hugo (Excito's unstable repository) and upgraded again (after resolving a few dependency issues) and my wi-fi speeds are back up to what they were previously. Woo-hoo.

So intentional or not, Excito appear to have resolved this issue in unstable builds. Not sure I'd want to run the unstable dist on my live box though so hurry up and get it rolled out boys!
Last edited by RandomUsername on 22 Jan 2012, 17:48, edited 1 time in total.
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

Going against what I said previously, I've upgraded my production box to the Hugo distribution. To resolve some dependicitis I've had to remove the package bubba3-modules. It doesn't appear to have broken anything so I'm wondering what modules this package contains and how important it is.
GodfatherB

Post by GodfatherB »

I made a new installation of Win7 system on a computer that previously had Vista. Now I get WiFi transfer speeds of about 8 MBytes/s from 1 meter away... this sounds more reasonable. So there trurly are some OS/WiFi card and B3 WiFi issues.
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

After being delighted that the 2.4 update fixed this problem, I've just connected to my wifi today to transfer some files and back to the same crappy speeds as before. Why, Excito? Why? Is there some kind of leak/race condition/entropy that makes the speeds get progressively worse as time goes on? Anyone else experiencing this?
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

my wifi is running beautifully (at 2.4GHz)!

(sorry, I realise this is no help to you, but at least it means it is not a fully generic issue)
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

Ubi wrote:my wifi is running beautifully (at 2.4GHz)!

(sorry, I realise this is no help to you, but at least it means it is not a fully generic issue)
I know not everyone even had a problem with 2.3 but there were quite a few of us.
HnLn

Post by HnLn »

I found out in this thread http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3948 that win7 can also be the cause of slow file transfers (just fyi as probably not applicable to this issue that has to do with a bubba update)