New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

printserver and HP 2010

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
beweb

printserver and HP 2010

Post by beweb »

Hi,

New weekend project. Installing a HP Laserjet 2010 to the B3 so we can use it from all machines.
First I read that it could work 'out of the box' since the new 2.3 release.
It apppears on the admin web-interface so it's hooked on.
But no printing. Apparantly not 'out of the box' for this model (I know, it's a windows printer so I was not very surprised)

A little Google-ing gave some tips.
- add a proper driver (foo2zjs is recomended)
But looking in the cups-admin page seems that it's already loaded.
>>> Driver: HP LaserJet 1020 Foomatic/foo2zjs (recommended) (grayscale, 2-sided printing)
>>> Connection: hp:/usb/HP_LaserJet_1020?serial=FN1MRH0

- Read about installing hplip and using hp-setup
Installing hplip worked but with using hp-setup the program replied with 'error: Unsupportd printer model'

- Tried even the old way from the Bubba forum
http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?f ... 1020#p2789
After the line

Code: Select all

cat sihp1020.dl > /dev/usb/lp0
I got an error about not finding /dev/usb/lp0
Changing it to

cat sihp1020.dl > /dev/usb/usblp
ended without errors but still no printing.

Arre there any more options available?
Cheeseboy

Re: printserver and HP 2010

Post by Cheeseboy »

Hi,

I have tried to use the same Brother printer with all 3 versions of the Bubba.
Every time I have to set it up again, I struggle. Trying to get drivers and wrappers to install on the non-Intel CPU, before I remember:
All the Bubba needs to do is to recognize the printer as a printer.
It is up to the clients to have a driver for it.
So if you have 10 Windows PCs, take the printer CD with the drivers to each PC and install them.
If you have Linux PCs, you must find Linux drivers for them (that was the big problem for me).

If you know your Samba, you should be able to configure the B3 as a printer server that can actually dish out the Windows drivers like a proper Windows domain controller/printer server. I never managed to get this to work, but last time I tried was in 2007.

Best regards,

Cheeseboy
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

There's no real need to install a printer driver in this case, unless you'd be willing to generate print jobs from some service that is running on the B3 itself.

All you need to do to be able to access the printer is add it to Cups as a 'Raw' printer. To publish the printer as a network printer for Windows clients, add a section like the following to your Samba conf file

[hp4200]
   printing = bsd
   comment = HP 4200 Printer
   path = /tmp
   guest ok = no
   printable = yes
   use client driver = yes
   print command = /usr/bin/lpr -Php4200 %s
   lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -Php4200
   lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -Php4200 %j 
   browseable = yes
Fun thing you can do with this is replace the print command to target a script that can manipulate how the document gets printed and/or do some accounting. In the example given here, which actually describes my office printer, I replaced the original print command to reflect its essential purpose. The actual print command I'm using is a perl script that rewrites some headers in the raw (postscript) print file - this enables me to select which paper tray (or even multiple trays) I want to use.

The only limit is your own imagination...
beweb

Post by beweb »

Thanks for the tips.

Driver on the bubba seems to be unnecessary as long it is on the client machine but it's there.
Plugging it directly in the machine works good.
So the problem is on the combination. I suspect a windows printer with the linux B3 ....

Samba is new to me so enough exploring to do.
First some basic reading then before we break it all...