New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

MyTV for Transmission

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
jonte

MyTV for Transmission

Post by jonte »

Has anybody tried using MyTV for Transmission?

Having trouble getting PERL Modules XML::RSSLite and Net::Twitter to install properly for some reason. Any ideas/solutions are welcome

//Jonte
6feet5

Re: MyTV for Transmission

Post by 6feet5 »

Malfunction, need input!

What have you tried so far, and what was the result?

/Johan
jonte

Post by jonte »

I scoured through the build.log in search of clues. From what I can tell there are some prerequisites installing with the module Net::Twitter (used in MyTV for sending a tweet as a notification). Nothing odd there I guess. They all seem to be found and added.
But several times during the installation when trying to compile an error shows, like the one below.
  • Searching DateTime on cpanmetadb ...
    --> Working on DateTime
    Fetching http://search.cpan.org/CPAN/authors/id/ ... .70.tar.gz
    -> OK
    Unpacking DateTime-0.70.tar.gz
    Entering DateTime-0.70
    Checking configure dependencies from META.yml
    Checking if you have Module::Build 0.3601 ... Yes (0.3800)
    Configuring DateTime-0.70
    Running Build.PL
    Warning: ExtUtils::CBuilder not installed or no compiler detected
    Proceeding with configuration, but compilation may fail during Build
    the build fails
The module ExtUtils::Cbuilder is installed.
That makes me wonder if it's got something to do with the Bubba hardware architecture, i.e. incompatibility to compile the module on the said hardware platform.

Any help is welcome

//Jonte
ryz

Post by ryz »

You most likely need to install the package build-essential this will install packages that in most cases are needed to build things from source one such thing is the gcc compiler.
6feet5

Post by 6feet5 »

I thought this would be a nice feature to have so I started installing it. This turned out to be a bad idea, I'm now in dependency hell.
Is it never gonna quit installing modules? I'm beginning to think I will soon have a complete backup of CPAN.

Anyhow, so far so good. I've noticed a couple of warnings and errors fly by, but nothing that made the build quit. I'll let you know how it all went, once it's finished replicating CPAN (it's been running for a couple of hours now :? ).

/Johan
jonte

Post by jonte »

Yeah, a nice feature indeed.
lots of dependencies though.

Took me awhile just to install cpanminus ;)

It will be interesting to hear how it goes!

Another (more simple solution), but potentially more insecure which I'm researching now is setting up a ShowRSS account. It allows for one to enter Transmission RPC credentials in addition to the customized RSS flow, allowing the torrents to download automatically.

Whitelisting all IPs in Transmission, setting up a temporary download folder, a upload/download ratio and then get Transmission to execute a script when a torrent finishes.

Checking the finished download folder, deleting finished torrents from Transmission then moving the files/folders to a predetermined place based on finished torrent file/folder name using some kind of wildcard.

As I understand it transmission-remote is a good place to start. Though my bash scripting isn't really good enough ;) There are a few scripts "templates" floating out there though. Might check it out

//Jonte
6feet5

Post by 6feet5 »

This is so weird.

It took ages to "install" and once it was "finished" (several hours later) I didn't have the time to complete the install. Everything appeared to be ok (some warnings/errors flashing by but the build didn't stop).

Now I'm back, a couple of days later, and decided to pick up where I left off, and there is no freaking trace of me ever installing the Net::Twitter package!!!! First I thought, "Ok, so I had one beer to many and installed it on the wrong bubba, shit happens", but no. I went through them both, and also my desktop computer, and still no trace of a Net::Twitter install, not even temporary files. Correction, I did find an entry in the bash history on my bubba, so I must have executed that line, but no package installed. How weird is this (or maybe not, there were warnings/errors, but shouldn't there at least be some trace of my attempt apart from the bash history entry)?

I've decided to give up. It took ages to install nothing, imagine what it will take to install something. I'll look around for other alternatives and let you know if I find anything useful. Feel free to keep me posted on your success.

/Johan
jonte

Post by jonte »

Haha, lovin it, not drunk texting, but drunk package installing instead ;)

But I would guess that you encountered the same problem I did If you look in build.log I would guess you'll find that some dependency modules that need compiling didn't get compiled.
  • Warning: ExtUtils::CBuilder not installed or no compiler detected
It still keeps on going through all of the modules, doing every step for each except compiling. But the result is that you end up without the wanted module :(

I'm looking into other options aswell, I'll post if I get any results.

Thanks for the effort Johan!

//Jonte