New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

VPN-DDCLIENT-APACHE?-Non Connection

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
scoobynz

VPN-DDCLIENT-APACHE?-Non Connection

Post by scoobynz »

I am trying to run Bubba2 through a subscription VPN client service (anonine.se) by utilising OpenVPN. The Bubba is set-up in “server only” mode.

I have installed OpenVPN, forwarded the required VPN ports to my router and configured iptables to allow connection to the VPN. I can successfully connect the VPN client and a check of my ip address returns the ip address of the VPN connection – in Sweden. I have also downloaded a couple of bittorrents, whilst connected to the VPN, and can confirm that the address being published on the torrent is the VPN address.

My dynamic dns solution is ddclient and Zoneedit. This seems to be working based on the following evidence;
1) It has worked for the last 18months without any issues
2) When i log onto my zoneedit account it shows that it has updated to the VPN ip.
3) When I disconnect the VPN it automatically updates to show my uk ip address.

So far so good.

The problem comes when I try to contact my webserver (i.e. connect to the Bubba web interface) through the VPN, no connection is possible.

I have script which temporarily disables/removes all iptables rules – I reinstate them by rebooting Bubba. After temporarily disabling iptables I check, by running iptables –L, that there are no rules.

OpenVPN creates a virtual NIC, tap0, to form the connection to the VPN client service. When iptables is up I need to create rules to allow connection through the tap0 interface. When iptables is disabled obviously everything goes through ok.

Does anyone have any ideas why i may not be able to connect through the web interface – i am out of ideas. My current thinking involves;
1) Apache is configured to allow connection through eth0 only and needs configuration to allow connection through the virtual tap0 NIC.
2) Some other setting on Bubba2 does not allow connection through a tap0 interface
3) The VPN client service doesn’t allow connection to the interface – seems very unlikely given that the bitorrents worked.

Any assistance, comments, pointers would be greatly appreciated – I am stumped at the moment!

C