New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Restore debian?

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
Gunnarsson

Restore debian?

Post by Gunnarsson »

Hi

I't seems that I have done something dumb to my bubba and now it will not accept DHCP-offers.
I can't remember what I did when it went wrong so I'm looking at a total reinstall of the OS.
Is there any way reinstalling only the networking part of debian if not how do I reinstall without formatting the drive? I don't want to loose everything on the disk.

/G
Ubi

Re: Restore debian?

Post by Ubi »

You can re-install your bubba without losing your stuff:
http://wiki.excito.org/wiki/index.php/R ... ubba2_/_B3

but if you mention what you messed with it may be possible to get it running without reinstalling.
Gunnarsson

Post by Gunnarsson »

Ops missed the Wiki.

Thanks.
Without formating the drive the losses wasn't to big. :)
Kiff

Post by Kiff »

Network configuration is stored in /etc/network/interfaces (dns servers in /etc/resolv.conf)
If you can see the interface that no longer uses dhcp there you can comment it out with # and change it to

Code: Select all

iface XYZ inet dhcp
where XYZ is the name of the interface. (probably eth0 or eth1)

Restart networking or just reboot to activate the changes.

Disclaimer: If you mess up this file you might have a hard time accessing your Bubba without a rescue boot, but if you're set on a partial reinstall anyway it might be worth a shot :)

Edit: This is on Bubba2, should be the same on Debian based system that doesn't use network-manager.