New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Logitech Media Server

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
steff2000

Logitech Media Server

Post by steff2000 »

Hi,
I'm considering buying a bubba3 to use it as my dedicated MediaServer running Logitech Media Server - formerly known as squeezecenter.
Currently i'm using my windows-pc for this purpose and i'm used to update my installations by myself. So i don't want to depend on the update-cycle of excito when to update.
Does anyone have experience on this and can tell me what kind of problems there might occure?

thanx & regards
steff
RandomUsername

Re: Logitech Media Server

Post by RandomUsername »

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. If you don't want to depend on Excito then you will need to install raw Debian which isn't exactly trivial. There are a couple of threads on that topic if you search for them.
steff2000

Post by steff2000 »

Well, i just want to be able to install the official releases of Logitech Media Server by myself. I don't want to wait until excito has included them in their current release.
For example the current version of LMS is 7.7.1 but the excito update still includes 7.6.x which is known as to be quiet buggy.
Waiting for the next excito release would also mean that my squeezebox players would constantly update themselves to the server version they were currently connected to (MSB in the cloud <--> LMS at home).

regards
steff
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

i think if the question is: 'will it be more difficult than my windows PC' then the answer is 'yes'. However, as the B3 will save you about $200 per year in electricity costs on top of many other benefits, you should also ask yourself the question whether staying 'bleeding edge' on the squeezecenter software is really that important...
r.schreurs

Post by r.schreurs »

Ubi wrote:...you should also ask yourself the question whether staying 'bleeding edge' on the squeezecenter software is really that important...
I have, until now, always accepted a lag. Recently, however, my handset forces an update when switching between my music collection and Internetradio, as mentioned by steff2000. I have found no way to cancel this, other than switching off the handset. Upgrading and downgrading both take several minutes, so I don't want to do this frequently.

I bought a Bubba - Squeezebox Duet bundle and expect Excito to make them work together as well as possible...

Specs: Bubba|2
Current package versions
bubba-frontend 2.0.0.9
bubba-backend 2.0.0.11
bubba-album 2.0.0.4
filetransferdaemon 0.50.20
squeezecenter 7.5.4.dfsg1-2
Binkem

Post by Binkem »

I don't get any switching between local music and internet radio, using the official Excito version on my B3. What players do you use? I've got a squeezebox receiver/controller, squeezebox radio and squeezebox apps for Andriod/Ipad.

Martijn
steff2000

Post by steff2000 »

As Ubi mentioned it is possible to install LMS by yourself. I guess it's the same procedure as on any other linux machine or are there any extra difficulties? The question for me is if i can take a 'Debian Installer Package' provided by logitech (e.g. http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/?ver=7.7) and install them by myself?
I just want to be free which version i'm running.

regards
steff2000
steff2000

Post by steff2000 »

Hi,
So i bought one! :D
I've seen there are various activities on gitHub for squeezecenter. Are there any ideas when version 7.7.1 will be released. I'm currently running 7.7.1 on my windows machine and i don't want to downgrade when i'm switching to my bubba3.

thanx and regards
steff
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

According to THIS post here it should be released shortly.
steff2000

Post by steff2000 »

thanx for the link!