New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

DLNA on Excito Bubba 2 ver. 2.4-RC1

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
darione75

DLNA on Excito Bubba 2 ver. 2.4-RC1

Post by darione75 »

Hi,
thanks for the greath release. I've a problem with dlna: in my Blu Ray Panasonic DBT-110 i'm not able to stream video files even mkv or avi. The player find automatically B2 dlna server (only if the network is configured on DHCP, if i use static ip adress on bubba, won't find the dlna server) but say "impossible to play video". The same think happen on my android tablet (samsung gt-p1000) or my mobile phone (motorola defy), stream only AUDIO. But if i play the SAME FILE (mkv or avi) by an usb drive on BDT-110, play correct, so it's a stream problem.
Any idea? :?:
Thanks
darione75

Re: DLNA on Excito Bubba 2 ver. 2.4-RC1

Post by darione75 »

Up!
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Quite possibly the same issue as reported here: http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3559.

And here's a document that might be of interest to anyone trying to stream media to a device from any major manufacturer: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10007069-1.html

Essentially, if you want to be absolutely certain that you can view or listen to media it has to be JPG for images (apparently a limit also applies to the image size - miniDLNA can fix this by enabling the strict_dlna setting but you will not like the amount of processing power required for this), LPCM (i.e. WAV) for sound and MPEG2 for video. Everything else is optional, including H.264 for HD movie playback.
GodfatherB

Post by GodfatherB »

C'mon, this article is from 2008. When I check new Sony TV specifications for instance I see other formats as well (including H.264). And as far as I have seen Sony is usually has the fewest formats in their DLNA list (other brands like Samsung offer some more). The things are better today than they were in 2008 and I imagine (or expect them to) improve more in the future.

I don't own DLNA capable TV yet, but I will soon, I am really looking forward to it and I hope B3 can handle it. :)
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Yes, but there's no telling how old someone's TV set is and apparently limits still apply especially with Sony equipment. Of course they would support H.264 on modern TV's - it's the most common format for HD (720p and 1080p) today - but the most heard complaint is that Matroska files can't be played.

Check out the feedback on the miniDLNA project site. A quick scan shows that most problems exist with Sony and Samsung devices either not showing the files at all or not displaying the content. Lucky Goods is apparently what you want to have if you're not prepared to convert your media library to a limited list of supported formats.

FWIW: My Dune media player also has no issues playing any types of media offered through miniDLNA.