New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Transfer speed

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
GodfatherB

Transfer speed

Post by GodfatherB »

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and brand new B3 WiFi owner. I was wondering if I could get some info from you on what are your transfer speeds on both wired and wireless connections.

When on wire I experienced roughly 30 MBytes/s, but when on wireless I get file transfer speed of around 2 - 3 MBytes/s. This is on Windows 7 64 bit. On Windows Vista 32 bit sometimes I got Wifi transfer speed as high as 5 MBytes/s (not always). I read somewhere that usable WiFi should be as high as 50% of stated connections speed (so if connected with 130 Mbit/s, I should get roughly 65 Mbit/s of usable bandwidth, which is roughly 8 MBytes/s).

The computers are on the same table as B3, about 1 meter away. WiFi configuration is set to 2,4GHz, 20Mhz channels, channel 13 (seems to be the most isolated one from others in the building) . I need 2,4 GHz to penetrate 2 walls and still have some effective bandwidth. If I go behind these two walls, the transfer speed falls to arround 1 MByte/s. For testing purposes I even tried with 5GHz, but the result was the same - 2 to 3 MBytes/s for file transfer (even though Win7 indicated a connection of 270 Mbit/s).

Is this even a WiFi issue? I am asking this because I want to use the B3 as a DLNA server to stream media to Sony TV... I wanted to do this wirelessly, but now I am wondering if this is even possible.
oliver

Re: Transfer speed

Post by oliver »

@GodfatherB: did you try a search at the forum here first :?:
Your issue is a problem with your Win7 WLAN-adapter and is discussed here already. Please have a look whether you run your b3 with wlan in "mixed mode". Switch over to "legacy mode" and everything should work better :wink:

Hope that helps

Oliver
GodfatherB

Post by GodfatherB »

Thank you for the reply... I did search the forum through and through and I also found your issue with Win7 and B3... however I have the Intel WiFi card and I was actually more interested in expected transfer speeds. I saw johannes published tests of transfer speeds for wired connection, but I found no info on what one could expect to reach over WiFi.

I tried legacy mode, but it is even worse... 1,5 MByte/s. On mixed (n+g) at least I reached as high as 3 MBytes/s.

So the question is... is this normal (if it is, it is kinda slow isn't it)? What do others experience?
pcrene

Post by pcrene »

Hello All,

I did some test playing HD content to a mediaplayer (Azbox HD+ and Azbox ME, both on Enigma 2).
I had no trouble when the peak reading 3.8MByte/Sec no movie or sound hickup.

Did this test with QNAP and B3 both the same.

See:
http://www.opensat4all.com/topic/190-ex ... -azbox-me/
Mainly the pictures, because it is in Dutch.

Main idea, playing a 15G MKV placed on a qnap and B3.

Rene
B3 1T + B-Stor 2T, B2 1T as backup
40 users active....
Opensat4all.Com
pcrene

Post by pcrene »

Hello All,

I did some test playing HD content to a mediaplayer (Azbox HD+ and Azbox ME, both on Enigma 2).
I had no trouble when the peak reading 3.8MByte/Sec no movie or sound hickup.

Did this test with QNAP and B3 both the same.

See:
http://www.opensat4all.com/topic/190-ex ... -azbox-me/
Mainly the pictures, because it is in Dutch.

Main idea, playing a 15G MKV placed on a qnap and B3.

Rene
40 users active....
Opensat4all.Com
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

Hi Rene,

Can you describe how your B3 wifi is configured?

Thanks.

Darren.
pcrene

Post by pcrene »

Sorry, no WiFi

Forget wifi when playing HD content. It will never work with any router.
Too much problems in timing and wireless.. Is my experience

Rene

Ps just a 1G netwerk, all wired :D
40 users active....
Opensat4all.Com
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

Um, this whole discussion is about transfer speeds over wi-fi. :roll:
GodfatherB

Post by GodfatherB »

OK, so no way to handle HD content over WiFi... then having only 1 LAN port really is limiting... I was expecting to handle some of the streaming and file transfers over Wifi but I guess I will have to find some other solution.

What I also experience is that sometimes WiFi is not responsive as it should be... it usually hangs for the first two second hangs then it continues more or less normally.
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

I don't accept that. I used to stream HD content with a Belkin Pre-N draft router so the B3 should be capable of it too.
Binkem

Post by Binkem »

Streaming HD content should work (most of the time) using a good AP/client combination. At least B3's wifi AP should be able to be faster than 2~3 Mbyte/sec. I did have good performance on most computers, but now I've got a new laptop and performance is way down on this. This may be issue of bad connection between B3 and some wireless cards (in my case Artheros 300n cards).
GodfatherB

Post by GodfatherB »

I have Intel WiFi 5300 AGN... so n300 client, but I usually get 2 - 3 MBytes/sec. The funny thing is, my other laptop has an Intel 5100 client and gets faster transfer rates (on occasion it happened to get as high as 5MBytes/sec, if the computer was in the same room as B3 of course).

Can we expect any improvements in this area with new update?
pcrene

Post by pcrene »

Sorry Random,

The title was somehowe misleading, i did not read it fom start.
As i was two days testing with nfs and smb with the azbox hd and azbox me with b3 pfffffff
I wanted to show (off) the results... I was very happy with the measurements.

Rene
Ps i still dont like wifi and Hd mulitmedia, too many hickups.
40 users active....
Opensat4all.Com
86ivar

Post by 86ivar »

GodfatherB wrote:I have Intel WiFi 5300 AGN... so n300 client, but I usually get 2 - 3 MBytes/sec. The funny thing is, my other laptop has an Intel 5100 client and gets faster transfer rates (on occasion it happened to get as high as 5MBytes/sec, if the computer was in the same room as B3 of course).

Can we expect any improvements in this area with new update?
Did your problem solve out? i got bubba2 and got approx the same transfer speeds. Wonder if they could be any higher if i bought a 5Ghz wifi card for my laptop, b2 got 5Ghz too.
GodfatherB

Post by GodfatherB »

I don't have that laptop anymore, so I can't answer that. Besides, I have my WiFi set to 2,4GHz, since I need 2 wall penetration and 5GHz had problems with it.

On another note... I am currently connected to B3 over LAN (1Gbps port) and I am at this moment copying two .iso file 5GB in total, and I am getting transfer speeds of only 6MBps. So, something is definetely odd with B3, but I don't know what. I plan to do a reinstall in the near future, so I don't care at the moment, but I will if this state continues.