New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Network stopped working on B2

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
jamerson

Network stopped working on B2

Post by jamerson »

Hmmm. I cleaned out my server shelf today. Had everything disconnected. Reconnected everything, and now my Bubba will have nothing to do with the network.

Boots up just fine (as far as I can see from the one blinking eye). But on the back, the network port blinks with green light only, only one of the diodes.

It does not show up as an "attached device" in my router (I run the bubba as server only).

Anyone seen this before?

/pelle
pcrene

Re: Network stopped working on B2

Post by pcrene »

Did you do an ip-scan in case of a fixed ip?

Rene
B3 1T + B-Stor 2T, B2 1T as backup
40 users active....
Opensat4all.Com
jamerson

Post by jamerson »

Sorry. I don't follow. What's an IP-scan? My router is set up to assign a certain IP to the bubba. But the bubba is set up to receive through dhcp. Is that info evan relevant :)?

/pelle
pcrene

Post by pcrene »

http://www.eusing.com/ipscan/free_ip_scanner.htm

Use something like this... It helped me a few times to find my b2 and b3

Rene
40 users active....
Opensat4all.Com
jamerson

Post by jamerson »

Ah!

OK. Tried it. No luck. And the router doesn't seem to recognize it either. It does not show up as attached in the web admin of the router.
pcrene

Post by pcrene »

Try to connect to the other network port.

Wan or lan port, you two on your bubba.

Rene
40 users active....
Opensat4all.Com
jamerson

Post by jamerson »

Tried them both. No difference.
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

Weird
Is the bubba directly connected to the router?
Did you try to replace the network cable?
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

If the green light is blinking, you are connected and the NIC is registering traffic. If the orange light is also on it means the NIC is working at full duplex; i.e. if the orange light is off this is not per se an indication of a problem.

The obvious fault would be that you connected the wrong interface. Live swapping of the cables won't work because the DHCP client stops trying after some time (and doesn't try again - it's not Windows). Verify that the cable is connected to the WAN interface and then reboot the B2.
In reverse: attach a second cable to the LAN interface and connect your laptop to it, which should then be offered an IP by the Bubba so you can SSH into it. Issue a `dhclient eth0` to let it retrieve an IP from your router.
jamerson

Post by jamerson »

Yes it is directly connected to the router. I tried with another cable and another port on the router. A port and cable that works perfectly with another computer.

I have rebooted with the cable in the wan interface.

I am right now trying to get my macbook to connect to the LAN port, but all I get is a self assigned IP. I believe I have turned the bubba's DHCP server off. Is that possible?
jamerson

Post by jamerson »

The Bubba shows up in my list of available shares in os x. But I cannot connect to it. That is when I have a cable from the LAN port to the Macbook. But the IP I get on the Ethernet interface on the mac is self assigned (169.x.x.x).

And the LAN port also shows only green light.

Is there a next move for me?
Binkem

Post by Binkem »

Try booting from an USB stick in rescue mode. There is a howto somewhere of the forum or wiki. You have to connect to WAN-port after strating the Bubba
jamerson

Post by jamerson »

Tried that too. No luck. It does not show up as attached to the router, nor in an IP scan. There's no IP to ssh to…

Starts to feel a bit hardware-ish. I don't know. Any more suggestions?
Binkem

Post by Binkem »

Contact the Excito crew: support@excito.com

They will do a lot to help, even replace faulty boards for a reasonable price if it isn't warranty.
jamerson

Post by jamerson »

I have emailed them now. Let's see what that gives!
I still cannot believe this. I just unplugged everything and then plugged it back in. No changes.