New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Bubba 3 and Domain handling mail etc.

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
Puma

Bubba 3 and Domain handling mail etc.

Post by Puma »

Hello,

I would like to have my own domain and my B3 handling the mail.

Should I claim a domain and let it host by third party (free of charge) or just domain park and redirect?

Thanks,

Puma
Linux is like a wigwam - no windows, no gates, apache inside!
pcrene

Re: Bubba 3 and Domain handling mail etc.

Post by pcrene »

Hello puma,

I have my own domain an the dns record to my B3. Works very good and even have a backup B2 on a separate location. When my B3 is down, the B2 will collect the users email (30 users).
Transmission of email i do via my own provider to avoid blacklist trouble.

Rene
B3 1T + B-Stor 2T, B2 1T as backup
40 users active....
Opensat4all.Com
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

I don't really see the point of hosting your own DNS. Generally you get free DNS services with the domain registration. Proper ISPs let you config nearly anything. The only bonus of local hosting is if you want windows-clients to update their own DNS records, which I personally find kinda insecure.
Doing your own email is much more interesting. Spam isn't nearly as bad as it was 5 years ago, and you can install and config your own spam filters, something generally not available at hosting corps.

So I would register a domain name with DNS contract and let the A and MX records point to the B3.
pcrene

Post by pcrene »

As i did...

But not all provider give you a 'real' ip-adres. Many providers in the netherlands give people 10.x.x.x
Adresses. So for starters you need to have the correct ip-adress

Rene
40 users active....
Opensat4all.Com
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

Not sure I understand that. All 10.x.x.x addresses are private so how can you have it as a public address? :|
pcrene

Post by pcrene »

I explain....

In the netherlands some providers give people a 10... Ip adress you have to pay extra 25 euro's for a real ip. In the netherlands i had some friends that rented a domain name first and than came into trouble in getting a real external ip-adres. So it was just a warning to Puma.

Rene
40 users active....
Opensat4all.Com
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

OK, that's weird.
Puma

Post by Puma »

This is true, in the netherlands we have a lot of dynamic IP adresses at home.
If you want a "fixed" IP adress (which will not change) you have to pay.
If my ISP has an update or malfunction and ISP resets an external router I get a new IP adress (dynamicly)
So pointing to my own B3 is tricky.

Puma
Linux is like a wigwam - no windows, no gates, apache inside!
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

ISPs handing out dynamic IP addresses I can understand and there are ways around this - dyndns, ddclient etc. But giving out private IP addresses is insane. I guess they must have multiple layers of NAT on their networks.
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

SpeedXS and XS4all in the netherlands give you a fixed IP without surcharge.
To be honest, for nearly all people a 10.x number is fine. The upstream switch prevents sniffing the neighborhood, whilst the (unpatched windows) machines are safe from port sniffers and such malware. I wouldn't buy it but I don't think anyone on this forum is representative for the population :)

But yes, check your IP setup before you commit to anything. DynDNS works good, but maybe not good enough as a mail server if the IP address changes too often. If you have dynamic IP then being a DNS server yourself is not realistic at all.
pcrene

Post by pcrene »

Dyndns does not work when there is a 10.x.x.x number.

Some dutch isp are strange, lol

Rene
40 users active....
Opensat4all.Com
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

not as strange as the morons from "Brein", or better, the dutch courts. Can you spell proxy?
pcrene

Post by pcrene »

Lol.... (comment enough)

Rene
40 users active....
Opensat4all.Com
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Which Dutch providers hand out private range IP's :?:

I'm fairly certain that can't be. One thing they do do however, is supply manipulated routers that they can hack into remotely and are practically impossible to replace with your own router (i.e. the B3). What they also do is block SMTP traffic in either direction, so even if you do have a fixed IP and a valid MX record, you still can't receive emails. Oh yes, and the pending blocking of certain websites because they provide a service that may supposedly also be used to retrieve "illegal" content.
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

I don't know it's true but it's certainly possible, they could just NAT several of their customers to a single public IP address. Mobile networks do this so they don't have to pay for a public IP address for every handset on their network.