New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

[Solved] minidlna needs higher "max_user_watches"

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
eramoli

[Solved] minidlna needs higher "max_user_watches"

Post by eramoli »

Hi,

Every time I start minidlna I get a warning in the log. it says
inotify.c:182: warn: WARNING: Inotify max_user_watches [8192] is low or close to the number of used watches [570] and I do not have permission to increase this limit. Please do so manually by writing a higher value into /proc/sys/fs/inotify/max_user_watches.
I have tried increasing the value of max_user_watches to 32768 but that did not change anything. Since I do not know what will happen if I increase it even more, and I do not find any info on the net, I thoought I should check with you.

1) Do you get the same warning when starting minidlna?
2) What is the risk/drawback, if any, with increasing max_user_watches to a really high number?
3) Is this actually a incorrect warning? Having a limit of 8192 when using 570 watches does not seem like it is close to the limit.

Best Regards,
Morgan, who like clean logs.
Last edited by eramoli on 07 Feb 2012, 01:31, edited 1 time in total.
rjakobsson

Re: minidlna needs higher "max_user_watches"

Post by rjakobsson »

I did this, and have not experienced any drawbacks yet.
But also, it seems like my minidlna config file missed "/videos" and "/pictures".
Have you looked through yours?
eramoli

Post by eramoli »

Hi rjacobsson,

Yes I have all three in my minidlna config file.

Did the warning dissapear when you increased the limit to 32768? The warning is still there for me. I also now discovered that the value was reset to 8192 after a reeboot. Did you do anything else to get it to remain after a reeboot?

Best Regards,
Morgan
HnLn

Post by HnLn »

In this post it says that minidlna considers anything below 65536 as being low, not sure if that's official info: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=613219.

And now I checked I also see that the value I set is overwritten.

Google tells me via http://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id= ... ost-192415 that you have to set it like so:
"to set this at boot, better edit /etc/sysctl.conf and append this line to it:

fs.inotify.max_user_watches = 100000"

Gonna try this and report back if my system explodes :-).
eramoli

Post by eramoli »

Hi HnLn,

I need to improve my Googling skills, I have searched but not found these entries :-)

As indicated in the posts this removed the warning from minidlna as well as ensured that the setting survived a boot. Thanks!

/Morgan
ther

Re: [Solved] minidlna needs higher "max_user_watches"

Post by ther »

Thanks! This solved my problems as well!