New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Something wicked happened resolving 'b3.update.excito.org ..

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
Christian

Re: Something wicked happened resolving 'b3.update.excito.or

Post by Christian »

I don't know if this is connected, or if it is an altogether different problem, but for a few days, I have been getting the same error message when trying the update from the WebUI. Maybe my report can help to trace the problem.

The first remarkable thing is that, for me, there seem to be no network problems at all: I can ping, nslookup, wget,... b3.update.excito.org, and, even more: Both "apt-get update", and "apt-get upgrade" work flawlessly ("apt-get upgrade" reporting "0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded").

So, at least for me, the problem seems restricted to the web UI.

Actually, the update seems to partially work there, too. I get a few progress messages, and progress bars. Some of the texts show up for too short a time to read, but there is a "Step 1", several "Step 2" messages, one of which I could capture (it says "Step 2: Initiating distribution upgrade: Building data"), and, finally, I even get a "Downloading..." message. I could capture the string "Downloading file 5 of 8".

Then, suddenly, the progress message(s) get replaced by two instances of the string "No functional Internet connection was found" - and that's it. ;-)
Gordon

Re: Something wicked happened resolving 'b3.update.excito.or

Post by Gordon »

I think I saw that message pop up myself. I found that one of the upgrades performs a stop/start on some of the networking components which made this more of an issue to me at that time than it should with unaltered boxes. Still, I imagine there can be other causes for networking not to restore itself as expected. If in doubt you could reboot and retry the upgrade for the remaining packages.