New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

No LAN gigabit speed available

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
gonk

No LAN gigabit speed available

Post by gonk »

I have problems getting the LAN port on my B3 working at gigabit speed.

Here are some facts and the scenarios tried:
- I have jumbo frames enabled on my computer and on the B3
- when connecting my computer via a cat 6 cable to the LAN port on B3 Windows 7 reports the link speed to 100 Mbps, not 1Gbps
- when connecting my computer via the same cat 6 cable to a gigabit switch both Windows 7 and the switch reports the link speed to 1Gbps
- when connecting the LAN port on B3 to the same gigabit switch as above using the cat 6 cable supplied with B3 the switch doesn't indicate gigabit speed
- using the same gigabit switch as above with another cat 6 cable between the switch and the LAN port on B3 the switch still doesn't indicate gigabit speed on the port connected to the B3.

Current versions:
bubba 2.4.2
bubba-backend 2.4.2.2
bubba-frontend 2.4.0.7
bubba3-kernel 1:2.6.39.4-11

Please help.
johannes

Re: No LAN gigabit speed available

Post by johannes »

Hmm, strange. Please try:

- disabling jumboframes. This feature is experimental and we have other bug reports on it right now
- connect the LAN and WAN port on B3 together and check link lights. Do they switch to Gigabit then?
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

I've found auto-neg to be extremely unreliable in certain combinations of equipment. Have you tried setting your Windows box to force the speed to 1Gbps? You should also be able to do this on the B3 using the ethtool command (as root):

Code: Select all

ethtool -s eth0 duplex full speed 1000 autoneg off
gonk

Post by gonk »

johannes wrote:Hmm, strange. Please try:

- disabling jumboframes. This feature is experimental and we have other bug reports on it right now
- connect the LAN and WAN port on B3 together and check link lights. Do they switch to Gigabit then?
What did you mean with "connect the LAN and WAN port on B3 together and check link lights."
My primary interpretation is that you suggest me to connect one end of a cable to LAN and the other to WAN but that seems strange and pretty unclear because how would I then interpret which lights and how?
johannes

Post by johannes »

Sorry for being unclear, but this is exactly what I ment, yes. IF the yellow light is lit it is 100 Mb, if only the green it's Gbit.

The reason is that if you get Gbit it would rule out some misconfiguration in B3 (i.e. jumboframe bug etc).
gonk

Post by gonk »

Thanks.

I'm really new to the B3 (bought it yesterday evening) so can you please refer me to a specification on how to interpret the different LEDs.
johannes

Sv: No LAN gigabit speed available

Post by johannes »

I am on the train now so can't dig it out, bet check the users manual (linked from the b3 dashboard).
gonk

Re: Sv: No LAN gigabit speed available

Post by gonk »

manual wrote:WAN and LAN ethernet connectors. The green LEDs to the right on respective connector indicates a 1GBit connection, the yellow LEDs to the left indicates a 100MBit connection.
When B3 is connected to the WAN and switch (as described above)
  • both WAN and LAN has steady light on the yellow LED and flashing on the green LED.
  • The switch doesn't indicate 1 Gbps for the port that is connected to the LAN connector on B3.
  • Both Win7 and the switch indicates 1 Gbps as link speed from computer to switch.
When B3's LAN-port is connected directly to my computer via the cable connecting my computer to the switch above
  • LAN has steady light on the yellow LED and flashing on the green LED.
  • Win7 indicates 100 Mbps as link speed from computer to B3.
When looping B3's LAN-port to its WAN-port using the supplied patch cable or with another Cat6 cable, as suggested by you
  • neither of the LEDs on neither on the ports (WAN/LAN) on B3 lights or flashes
gonk

Post by gonk »

RandomUsername wrote:I've found auto-neg to be extremely unreliable in certain combinations of equipment. Have you tried setting your Windows box to force the speed to 1Gbps? You should also be able to do this on the B3 using the ethtool command (as root):

Code: Select all

ethtool -s eth0 duplex full speed 1000 autoneg off
The command did not help at all.
  • the LED indicators on the B3 doesn't indicate gigabit speed
  • the gigabit indicator on my switch-port that B3 is connected to doesn't say gigabit
  • file copying from Windows to B2 still maxed at about 11 MB/s
johannes

Re: Sv: No LAN gigabit speed available

Post by johannes »

gonk wrote: When looping B3's LAN-port to its WAN-port using the supplied patch cable or with another Cat6 cable, as suggested by you
  • neither of the LEDs on neither on the ports (WAN/LAN) on B3 lights or flashes
Ok, this does indicate some error. If autoneg doesn't work between the two B3 ports you probably have some hardware error. I suggest you contact support@excito.com and send it to us for replacement.

Sorry for the trouble, and thanks for helping us pinning down the problem.
nobody

Post by nobody »

Has this been rsolved yet? I just found out I have a very similar issue. My LAN will not connect at 1GB (and only the orange led lights up). However if I stick the same cable into the WAN port the green light on the wanport goes up, but it also connects at 100mb. If I connect lan and wan together on a single cable the green light on wan goes no, and no lights on lan go up, but it does connect both at 1gb. The router is a fritzbox which is perfectly capable of connecting 1gb and does so on my win7 machine.

Thanks for any help
gonk

Post by gonk »

nobody wrote:Has this been rsolved yet? I just found out I have a very similar issue. My LAN will not connect at 1GB (and only the orange led lights up). However if I stick the same cable into the WAN port the green light on the wanport goes up, but it also connects at 100mb. If I connect lan and wan together on a single cable the green light on wan goes no, and no lights on lan go up, but it does connect both at 1gb. The router is a fritzbox which is perfectly capable of connecting 1gb and does so on my win7 machine.

Thanks for any help
I contacted Excito's support, handed the B3 in and they changed the motherboard.
Contact the support.
VincentRowe

Post by VincentRowe »

gonk wrote:
nobody wrote:Has this been rsolved yet? I just found out I have a very similar issue. My LAN will not connect at 1GB (and only the orange led lights up). However if I stick the same cable into the WAN port the green light on the wanport goes up, but it also connects at 100mb. If I connect lan and wan together on a single cable the green light on wan goes no, and no lights on lan go up, but it does connect both at 1gb. The router is a fritzbox which is perfectly capable of connecting 1gb and does so on my win7 machine.

Thanks for any help
I contacted Excito's support, handed the B3 in and they changed the motherboard.
Contact the support.
Hello friend please help me. I am facing similar speed issue so can you give me some sort of advice to sort it out?Waiting for reply thanks in advance:)