New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

recovering data from damaged disk

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
HnLn

recovering data from damaged disk

Post by HnLn »

Hi there,

my bubba's disk got corrupted and I 'm wondering if I can try to recover some of the data ? I have allready replaced the disk (at my own expense), but still have the old one and I connected it with a case to the usb drive.

An fdisk -l does show the disk, but says "Disk /dev/dm-0 doesn't contain a valid partition table". Google seems to suggest to use ddrescue and then something like photorec to try to recover some of the files. But do that I need to mount something first I guess ? Any bubba specific help greatly appreciated, as I'm not sure how LVM plays into this, especially since they probably have the same name (working vs damaged).

Tnx
RandomUsername

Re: recovering data from damaged disk

Post by RandomUsername »

Can you plug it into a proper PC instead of the Bubba? If so, I'd just fire up an Ubuntu live CD, plug the disk in and see what results you get with photorec. I've had great success with that over the years.
nobody

Post by nobody »

Something about the bubba setup makes it so that the LVM partition looks like a corrupted disk. There's a few other threads on this topic as well. For example: http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?f ... 14&p=20079
So yes, stick it into a proper PC with ubuntu live or the gparted live cd which is filled with disk operation tools.
MaverikCH

Post by MaverikCH »

what kind of werkstation are you working with?
if windows: try explore2fs. that tool can access lvm partations.

and as nobody said:
nobody wrote:Something about the bubba setup makes it so that the LVM partition looks like a corrupted disk.
lvm partition showed up under my windows disk management as a raw partition - but wasn't actually corrupted.
HnLn

Post by HnLn »

tnx all, pretty sure my disk is corrupted as bubba wouldn't even boot anymore (replacing it fixed it). Gonna work from my PC with one of the live CD's and try that first.