New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Backup to other server on network

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
Torsten

Backup to other server on network

Post by Torsten »

I am trying to configure a backup job to place the backup on another server on my network (a QNAP 219P+), i.e. it is not connected as USB/eSata to the B3.

I have configured the job to make a standard backup of photos, i.e. all content storage\pictures, and I use an SSH connection.

The job completes with an OK, however the target folder is empty. The timeline indicates that there is a backup, but if I make a restore (to another folder than the original), I end up with a folder named "storage", but no subfolders.

Seems I am missing a setting somewhere, but I can't figure out where.

Any suggestions appreciated.

/Torsten
Torsten

Re: Backup to other server on network

Post by Torsten »

I have worked quite a bit on this the last couple of days, and found that my issues were due to security settings on the QNAP server, i.e. not much to do with the B3 setup.

So I consider this to be a QNAP question and a FTP and SSH security settings question, rather than B3.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused by asking this question here.

/Torsten
johannes

Post by johannes »

Ah, good news. Did some head-scratching this morning, but will now stop scratching. Thanks for letting us know!
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
Torsten

Post by Torsten »

As I progressed from my test backups I found out that the Photo folder is still an issue, but videos and music works fine. I just discovered this, and will look further into this. If there are known issues I would like to get some information, but otherwise I will take a first shot myself. For the time being I was wondering if it might be a naming issue, the photo folder is named "pictures", whereas the backup job mentions "/storage/photos". Any hints on whether this is a road to pursue or not is appreciated.

/Torsten
johannes

Post by johannes »

Hmm, the pictures/photos messup reminds of an old bug, are you sure you are running the latest software? 2.5.0.2?
Torsten

Post by Torsten »

Status on front page of admin says: Software version 2.5.0.2.

Can I force a re-update, or in other ways fix this myself, e.g. by renaming or updating a script or something?
johannes

Post by johannes »

Ah, you are right, that old bug is still present, must have been a regression at some point. Now reported and scheduled for fix in 2.5.1 (next release).

Until then, you can edit /home/admin/.backup/<job name>/includeglob.list manually, and correct the target location. Or you can create a new backup job for the photos, where you manually browse to the location instead of using the shortcut button.
Torsten

Post by Torsten »

Yes, it worked when I changed the folder name from "photo" to "pictures" in the includeglob.list file - I assumed that this was the correct thing to do, rather than renaming storage/pictures to storage/photo.

/Torsten
DerWaldmann

Post by DerWaldmann »

Hi there,
even if this post is from 2012 I would like to ask for help here.
I'm trying to configure a weekly backup from my B3 to my DNS-323 via SSH with no success.
SSH is enabled on the DNS-323 but I'm not quite sure if the path I entered in the B3 is correct.
@Torsten: any chace to reach you via PN?
Thanks all...
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

The previous post is a repeat from http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5366.

Please do not post the same question twice.