New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

B2 and Easyfind

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
wm.bubba

B2 and Easyfind

Post by wm.bubba »

For the last week or so I have been having a problem with Easyfind.

My Easyfind address is set to: http://testb2.myownb2.com (I have changed this earlier today), but when I input this into a browser I don't connect to my B2:

Doing an nslookup seems to indicate Easyfind is set up correctly:

Connecting directly using my IP address does work though, so the issue is not with my network or my B2.

I have tried this on my work PC and on my mobile phone (using 3G), with the same result on both.
johannes

Re: B2 and Easyfind

Post by johannes »

This could be if your router is blocking traffic from the outside. Are you sure you forwarded port 80 in your router?
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
wm.bubba

Post by wm.bubba »

Hi Johannes,

I have forwarded port 80 in my router.

When I try http://testb2.myownb2.com, this doesn't work, but when I use my actual IP address, i.e. http://87.112.###.### (I'd rather not divulge this to everyone), this does work.
I get the same result on my work PC and on my mobile phone (using mobile network, not work network).

Any further ideas?
johannes

Post by johannes »

Ok, but test2.mywonb2.com does not point to that IP, it points to another IP: 31.185.xyz.xyz. So obviously yoru B2 has not for some reason told our servers you are on a new IP, could that be it? If you disable and then re-enalbe the easyfind service (go to admin -> settings -> identity in the web settings), does this help?

[Edit: keyslip correction]
wm.bubba

Post by wm.bubba »

I have disabled and re-enalbed the easyfind service, and this now works. Thanks for that.

Having done a little digging, the IP address 31.185.xyz.xyz was assigned to my network from 21/08/2012 @ 02:15, this changed to 87.112.xyz.xyz on 26/08/2012 @ 00:15, which is currently my IP address.

Having set up http://testb2.myownb2.com only yesterday (28/08/2012), how did Easyfind manage to pick up the previous IP address,31.185.xyz.xyz, and not the current one, 87.112.xyz.xyz?
johannes

Post by johannes »

Then I know the issue. Since you have your B2 behind another router, the B2 does not currently detect changes in WAN IP. The Easyfind "change-IP trigger" functionality uses three signals; 1) changing IP on WAN-port (which you have disconnected), or 2) UPnP-IDG broadcast of new WAN IP from your router (which it obviously does not do, perhaps it's disabled?) or 3) reboot or network re-start.

Since this is a somewhat common problem for our customers, especially in some countries where ISP's have started handing out new IP's very often (up to hourly), we are now re-designing this feature so that the b2/b3 regularly will poll for a WAN IP change. This change will be released in the 2.5.1 update which is in testing phase now, and will hopefully release within weeks.

Sorry about your troubles.
Nrde

Post by Nrde »

johannes wrote:we are now re-designing this feature so that the b2/b3 regularly will poll for a WAN IP change.
Please make it configurable, as my IP seldom changes, I don't need constant polling...
wm.bubba

Post by wm.bubba »

That's brilliant. Look forward to the new changes.
johannes wrote:The Easyfind "change-IP trigger" functionality uses three signals; 1) changing IP on WAN-port (which you have disconnected), or 2) UPnP-IDG broadcast of new WAN IP from your router (which it obviously does not do, perhaps it's disabled?) or 3) reboot or network re-start.
1) My WAN-port is disconnected, that is correct.
2) I believe I have UPnP switched on, but don't know much about this. I'll look into it.
3) This happens very rarely.

In the mean time, is there a way to trigger the Easyfind IP-change functionality via the command line on Bubba?
I have a script running to check for IP address change already, so could add this in if available.

Thanks.
Binkem

Post by Binkem »

Please make it configurable, as my IP seldom changes, I don't need constant polling...
+1 (i've got a fixed IP)

Martijn
johannes

Post by johannes »

OF course, it's possible to configure for people who can handle the command line. As you understand, polling is the last resort after trying all other options, we don't like it either. Now when UPnP-IGD is turned off by default in new routers and ISP's decreasing the IP update (hours in some places), we don't really have a choice.
johannes

Post by johannes »

OF course, it's possible to configure for people who can handle the command line. As you understand, polling is the last resort after trying all other options, we don't like it either. Now when UPnP-IGD is turned off by default in new routers and ISP's decreasing the IP update (hours in some places), we don't really have a choice.
wm.bubba

Post by wm.bubba »

This is all I can find for UPnP settings in my router (Netgear WNR1000v3)

Is there a command line function I can use to refresh the Easyfind IP address?
johannes

Post by johannes »

Sorry, missed that question the first time. Yes, you can run /usr/lib/web-admin/easyfind.pl when you need it to update.
wm.bubba

Post by wm.bubba »

Just tried this and it works perfectly.

Thanks.