New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Best way to change server profile mod?

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
spaceuser

Best way to change server profile mod?

Post by spaceuser »

I have had my B3 about a year now. I use it as a webserver, mailserver and fileserver primarily. Sometimes I also use Horde for notes and the mediaserver for local LAN streaming as well.

The server is currently set in router+firewall+server mode, and I have just bought a new "high throughput" router that I would like use instead of the B3 builtin router function. I also plan to disable the WLAN in the B3 as well.

I do know that I need to open ports (80,443,993,465) in the new firewall and portforward these port to the B3. What is the best way to change the server profile mode without any risk to corrupt any functionality? I do rember that I in the beginning had problems with just that, but then going from server mode only to router+firewall+server mode. Should I simply change the profile using the webgui, or do any steps need to be done before that to be sure?

I would appreciate any comments on this.

TIA
spaceuser

Re: Best way to change server profile mod?

Post by spaceuser »

Update 2012-09-09:
The problem have now occurred as expected. I have changed to a new router (ASUS RT-N66U with dd-wrt), disabled the B3 Wifi, changed the static IP on B3 to new static IP, 192.168.1.10, and disabled the local DHCP. The B3 profile, "router+firewall+server mode", is still the same as before, but since I only use the B3 LAN port connected to a LAN switch, I perhaps do not need to be forced to change the profile to "server" only, or do I?. The new router DHCP is in the range 192.168.1.100 and up. I can surf locally to the B3 by accessing the local IP. I can access server locally using ssh as well. My local network client computers, iPad, Nexus 7 and phone, can not access email server on B3. An external test, using 3G on my phone, I can't access email server on B3 or surf to the B3. I have add the same port forwarding to my new router as set in the B3. I did changed the ip in /etc/hosts.allow (sshd) to the B3 new static address. B3 have been restarted. End of ideas.

Please, anyone, I would appreciate any comment on this problem.

TIA
elsbernd

Post by elsbernd »

Well, I got the same infrastructure in my net:
B3 connected via LAN to local Network,
A DSL-router from the Internet-Provider is the connects to the net.

I assume, that your router/IP setting on your B3 are invalid.
This was lead by
changed the static IP on B3 to new static IP, 192.168.1.10, and disabled the local DHCP
Why do you disable DHCP on B3? Your new Router should provide a DHCP server, which could be configured to give a static address to your B3.

DHCP will deliver not only an IP-address, it delivers Netmask, and Default Gateway configuration.
Could you please have a look at the output of

Code: Select all

netstat -rn
. It should contain a line similar to

Code: Select all

Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt Iface
0.0.0.0         192.168.2.1     0.0.0.0         UG        0 0          0 eth1
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

I think this sounds like a name resolution issue. Can you reach the b3 using name at all or is it ip address only?

/Daniel
spaceuser

Post by spaceuser »

Why do you disable DHCP on B3? Your new Router should provide a DHCP server, which could be configured to give a static address to your B3.
I disabled the B3 DHCP on LAN side, since I use the DHCP on my new router. The B3 is only a server in my LAN. Not a router or DHCP server anymore. That services I let the new router to supply.
spaceuser

Post by spaceuser »

I think this sounds like a name resolution issue. Can you reach the b3 using name at all or is it ip address only?
I can't write B3 or B3.local in the url of my Firefox browser. It won't work. Only with IP it works. I guess that's only a setting missing in the /etc/hosts file, and I don't think that has any to do with the port forwarding issue. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
elsbernd

Post by elsbernd »

I disabled the B3 DHCP on LAN side, since I use the DHCP on my new router. The B3 is only a server in my LAN. Not a router or DHCP server anymore. That services I let the new router to supply.
Perhaps I made myself not clear enough: Disabling the service DHCP-Server on your B3 is correct, if you have a new DHCP server on your router. But I thought you disabled the DHCP client mode, because you manually set your Host IP.

The DHCP-server on your router should correctly deliver a nameserver, as this may be too a problem, as spaceuser pointed out.
All this shouldn't be a problem, if DHCP client is enabled.
spaceuser

Post by spaceuser »

The problems continue!
In a desperate moment, since the B3 mail was not accessible from WAN, I changed the server profile from "router+firewall+server" mode, to "server" mode. It seems to restart afterwards. Now it's not accessible at all. I even forced a restart. Can't access it after it booted up. It had the static ip, 192.168.1.10 as I set the other day. Since it has no way to be accessed, since it has no IP, I even checked if it had turn on the DHCP. I run out of ideas now.

I knew this would happen. But why, and I don't know how I even manage to access it when it occurred the first time about a year ago, when I connected the B3 to my old Linksys router with dd-wrt. SInce the Linksys router didn't have any gigabit ports, I change to use the B3 as "router+firewall+server", and removed the Linksys. This has been running ok for a year, until I bought a new highspeed router a week ago.. This time an ASUS RT-N66U with dd-wrt. The reason for change is when you have many devices connected is that It have better throughput overall than the B3. Now I face the problem, when trying to go back to external router/firewall and the B3 server only as a server.

Update: B3 now accessible from WAN side
In my new routers page of Status/DHCP Clients, I found the B3. It had changed the ip address to an address within the DHCP range. 192.168.1.119 instead of the static one I have set earlier, 192.168.1.10. So now it seems to work. The email client in my smartphone as well as the internet browser, can reach the B3 using 3G. Nice!

Thanks