New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Apache Web Server

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
arigead

Apache Web Server

Post by arigead »

Sorry this is a very basic question but the words are so common that it's difficult to get a productive search on them.

Basically the B3 can run the Apache web server but I'm assuming that the server is used for B3 configuration from a web browser on a local computer. I've not bought the B3 as yet I'm still plotting but wondered could I use the B3 with the Apache server to serve requests from the Internet? So could I configure the B3 to serve a web site to the global internet or will that cause problems with the configuration pages?

There is a wiki page I found on throttling the Apache server [1] which seems to suggest that this is possible but I'm not 100% sure where the Apache server is serving pages to. If it's only on the local LAN then it's not what I was thinking about.

I know that the B3 is not designed as a fully fledged web server but I'd only be looking to test out and play with web designs.

[1] http://wiki.excito.org/wiki/index.php/T ... _bandwidth
DanielM

Re: Apache Web Server

Post by DanielM »

Absolutely. That's half the point with Bubba, it's a real server, only smaller :D

I have some websites and also a Wordpress site on my B3, works like a charm. It doesn't have the cpu power to serve hundreds of visitors per second but other than that it IS a fully fledged web server.

/Daniel
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Actually, running the apache webserver is a systems requirement. This is where you do all the administration of the B3.

Now the problem is that Excito made this the default webpage, which may or may not be okay with you. Judging from my logs people are scanning the web constantly and if they hit a webserverthe folders phpmyadmin, mysqladmin and admin are very popular pages to try and take advantage of. Apache is very powerful and you can configure webpages to respond to either one of the local IP addresses (i.e. 127.0.0.1, the internal LAN IP address which has 192.168.10.1 by default, or the external public IP address) or to the DNS name that you're using for the server. My advise is that if you want to change that definition and add named vhosts that you use number prefixes on the config files to control preference - since Excito called theirs "bubba" this will then be the last to load and can not disturb the vhosts you defined.
arigead

Post by arigead »

Deadly thanks a million for putting that one to bed. I'm going to get myself organised and get moving on this.
HnLn

Post by HnLn »