New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Wifi stopped working...

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
pompopom

Re: Wifi stopped working...

Post by pompopom »

Wild guess: What if some part of the circuitry that is related to eSATA is broken and generates interference in the Wifi spectrum?
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

Same symptoms here, except that i cannot even with a cable.

SSID is broadcasted, but can't connect, not even with a direct tcp/ip cable to the B3.
Both the WAN and LAN lights are active when cables are attached.

Is there no other option but to reformat the drive?

/Hammer
johannes

Post by johannes »

pompopom wrote:Wild guess: What if some part of the circuitry that is related to eSATA is broken and generates interference in the Wifi spectrum?
Hmm, not likely no, since the new board showed the same symptom. Also the eSATA problem was a soldering issue on the connector, so should not cause interference.
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
johannes

Post by johannes »

Hammer wrote:Same symptoms here, except that i cannot even with a cable.

SSID is broadcasted, but can't connect, not even with a direct tcp/ip cable to the B3.

/Hammer
This is another issue but worse, how do you mean you cannot connect via cable? You get no IP? Perhaps you set it to fixed IP (DHCP turned off?)?
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Ok. Things are REALLY REALLY beginning to drive me nuts now. After replacing the mother board and rolling bak some packages things work. Kinda. Sometimes. When things work well I can easily get 100Mb/s out of the wifi. And then sometimes it just doesn't. When simply pinging the B3 from my laptop some icmp's get back after 1ms, some get back after anything between that and like 3 seconds, and some never come back at all. Sometimes I can't reach anything for some minutes and then a while later everything works again.

I've bought myself a wi-spy 2.4x to check if there are disturbances in the air, but besides my Miraclebox that for some reason sends out strange stuff and that doesn't seem to affect anything anyway I find nothing.

I've got one tiny tiny straw to grasp after now. I realized yesterday that when I removed my usb connected ambient light sensor (http://www.yoctopuce.com/EN/products/us ... octo-light) things suddenly worked a little bit better. Now I'm wondering if this could have anything with power to do? I normally have my Tellstick Duo, the light sensor and my ups connected by usb, could this be too much? I don't think any of them uses more than like 100mA, so it seems unlikely, but what if? Could that affect the wifi? Another thought related to this is if my power supply is wonky and doesn't deliver what it should? Guess I'll just have to hook it up to my volt meter and check some day.

My hair is getting thin. ANY input appreciated.

/Daniel
pompopom

Post by pompopom »

Since you connect USB items to your B3 I suppose you're using a USB hub.
Is it a USB hub where you can plug an additional power adaptor? If yes you might want to try that. In that case the power supply of the B3 is less 'stressed'
If it is a power supply issue, it might indeed be the Power Supply itself or maybe a harddisk that is asking to much...?

EDIT: Is you're UPS still working alright? Might want to consider to shut that down once. Is it an online of offline UPS? Could it be that when you're having issues, the UPS is charging the internal battery?
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

pompopom wrote:Since you connect USB items to your B3 I suppose you're using a USB hub.
Is it a USB hub where you can plug an additional power adaptor? If yes you might want to try that. In that case the power supply of the B3 is less 'stressed'
The hub I've used is not powered, so I've thought about testing a powered one. But on the other hand right now I only have the Tellstick connected and it still works crappy, so this shouldn't be the issue. I guess I could try to remove that too, but it'll have to be for a short while since many things in my house depend on that Tellstick.
pompopom wrote:If it is a power supply issue, it might indeed be the Power Supply itself or maybe a harddisk that is asking to much...?
The hard disk is the one that came with the B3, it's a WD10EARS. I've thought about trying with another disk, but reinstalling everything will be a HUGE work, so I'm kinda trying not to...
pompopom wrote:EDIT: Is you're UPS still working alright? Might want to consider to shut that down once. Is it an online of offline UPS? Could it be that when you're having issues, the UPS is charging the internal battery?
Good point. It's an apc 350 cs that is at least 5 years old. I replaced the battery last year, but it might be worth trying without it.

Seems I've got some more things to try out before completely giving up. Thanks :-)

/Daniel
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

johannes wrote:
Hammer wrote:Same symptoms here, except that i cannot even with a cable.

/Hammer
This is another issue but worse, how do you mean you cannot connect via cable? You get no IP? Perhaps you set it to fixed IP (DHCP turned off?)?
The Bubba wifi decided to start working again after a few days, through no interaction on my part.
I also have it cable-connected to the DSL modem, but have not been using the Bubba's LAN port.

Today I decided to hook up my network to that port to benefit from the firewall, so switched a cable from the DSL modem to the Bubba's LAN port.

Guess what, nothing works, no DHCP over wire or wifi. The Bubba is totally unresponsive.
Could there be a short in the LAN port??

EDIT: rebooted the unit and now the wifi DHCP works.
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Ok. With the risk of being declared a complete idiot, I'll tell you all what's happened and what seems to have been the problem. My "server room" is a small cabinet, around 10x30x40cm. It contains UPS, my ISP's fiber stuff, my B3 and all the cabling needed. As you might understand it's kinda cramped. Last week (after my last post in this thread) I tried simply putting the B3 on the floor just outside the cabinet. Since then everything has worked like a charm. And also according to Munin the HDD temperature has dropped like 5 degrees.

I still have to investigate exactly what the problem is, but obviously something else in that cabinet has been disturbing the wifi. I didn't see any disturbances with my wi-spy, but that was when measuring at the place where I normally have my laptop, 5 meters from the B3. Didn't really think of measuring right by the B3...

So, now we all know that cramping too much electronics in too little space is NOT a good idea :roll:

/Daniel
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

Are you sure it's not the cabinet itself blocking the signal?
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

RandomUsername wrote:Are you sure it's not the cabinet itself blocking the signal?
Yep. I've been running with the door open.

Also the signal is very strong, so it's not something blocking. More like something is disturbing.

/Daniel
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

if this something is no longer disturbing when you place the B3 right next to the cabinet, then that cabinet is definitely shielding *something* :D . What happens when you stick the wi-spy inside the cabinet ?
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Ubi wrote:if this something is no longer disturbing when you place the B3 right next to the cabinet, then that cabinet is definitely shielding *something* :D . What happens when you stick the wi-spy inside the cabinet ?
That is the next thing I plan to test. Just haven't got around yet. Will follow up when I have done that :D

And now the B3 is on the floor just outside the open cabin door (which can't be closed now because of the wiring harness), so the cabin is not shielding anything. But when the B3 was in the cabin, it's antennas were like millimetres from the fiber stuff, now it's more of decimetres, so my theory is that the problem is there.

/Daniel
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

But when the B3 was in the cabin, it's antennas were like millimetres from the fiber stuff
It's not likely (i.e. impossible) that an optical fibre was interfering with it, or do you mean some kind of switch/router?
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

RandomUsername wrote:
But when the B3 was in the cabin, it's antennas were like millimetres from the fiber stuff
It's not likely (i.e. impossible) that an optical fibre was interfering with it, or do you mean some kind of switch/router?
Yes, it's active equipment, a Packetfront CPS 500, handling fiber in and ethernet, tv and telephone out. I really see no reason why it should send out anything on the 2.4GHz band, but who knows...

/Daniel