New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Update the DHCP server to point to an internal DNS

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
dastagg

Update the DHCP server to point to an internal DNS

Post by dastagg »

I have looked through /etc/init.d and have searched for dhcp.conf but I can't find them.

What I want to do is have an internal DNS server for static IP servers but still use the DHCP server provided by the B3 for computers, laptops, phones and tablets.

Where do I add:
option domain-name "myinternal.dev";
option domain-name-servers 192.168.10.55;

so when I do connect to the network, those are the parameters that show up in resolv.conf?
Gordon

Re: Update the DHCP server to point to an internal DNS

Post by Gordon »

DHCP and DNS are both provided by the DNSmasq package. Most of its parameters are taken directly from the host system, so if you add the correct domain suffix to the hostname (e.g. b3.myinternal.dev) it will send that along with the lease. It will take static hosts from the system's hosts file (i.e. /etc/hosts) but I guess you can tell it to handout a different DNS server IP than itself (or alternates). You're bound to find it in the manual or faq pages on the project homepage at dnsmasq.org

Of course if you don't like DNSmasq you can always disable it and revert to ISC DHCP. There's a Debian howto here: http://www.howtoforge.com/dhcp_server_l ... bian_sarge
dastagg

Post by dastagg »

Thank You!

Actually, that is a lot easier that setting up another DNS server with Bind9 (but that was a learning experience).
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

:lol:

You can still go for Bind. It will run on the B3 as well. It's quite a steep learning curve though, but once you've figured it out it gets very simple to maintain it. Before my company switched to a hosted solution I had Bind running on an LDAP back-end and had ICS-DHCP maintain dynamic DNS entries in that LDAP database. On a scale of 1 to 10 in difficulty that would most definitely be a 12.
nobody

Post by nobody »

Yes, but 11of those 12 came from ldap!
The oreilly bind book is pretty good. If you get a second hand issue of an old version youre done for a few bucks , and you get a great eplanation on how dns and bind work. My copy is from 2001 and it is still good enough.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

nobody wrote:Yes, but 11of those 12 came from ldap!
You're damn right. :wink: