New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

No writing from Mac, but from Windows

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
BadTicket

No writing from Mac, but from Windows

Post by BadTicket »

Hello together

Just I restart by B3, everything was OK. But after a restart, I can only write datas wherever I want on my B3, but it's not possible anymore to write from a Mac (reading is OK). I checked and changed, AFP, Read/Write, retort the B3 and install the newest firmware. I restart both Mac I have, but still no writing possibility.

How can I change that?

Thanks and Regards
Marcel
nobody

Re: No writing from Mac, but from Windows

Post by nobody »

Pleasy verify permissions by making a chmod 777 folder in an accessible location and write to that. If it does not work, the issue is in the afpd config. If you can, look at the owner of the written file.
Maybe you have alteady done this, but i caanot be certain from your post
BadTicket

Post by BadTicket »

Thanks for the answer. I don't understand exactly what you mean, but I try to understand it :? What i've done:
I start the web interface, login as the admin (I have no other users and use the B3 as a Guest) and ad a new folder "Test" to /home/storage/. After 2 seconds the folder is visible in the Finder of my Mac, but it's not possible to copy a file into it. I check the rights, and see that there are under all three possibilities read and write rights. So I try to upload a file in the web interface into "Test" what was successful. I try it into older folders too, but this is only possible into e.g /home/storage/video/TV/ but not into /home/storage/video/TV/Comedy :?:

How can I check the owner of a file?

By the way: The only changing i've done the last days was to try to use the B3 as a media server für a Playstation 3 what was not successful (switch on and of DLNA streaming). I see the B3 but no files in it. Maybe the PSP3 change something, but this is not important because I change to Apple TV in a couple of days.

Thanks a lot and Heavenicetrip! Fe/2
nobody

Post by nobody »

ah yes, you may need to log into the SSH console of the B3 to see the owner (unless there is a GUI trick. THere very well may be one but I never use the GUI....)
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

nobody wrote:ah yes, you may need to log into the SSH console of the B3 to see the owner (unless there is a GUI trick. THere very well may be one but I never use the GUI....)
Go to the file browser, highlight the file and click on the padlock icon.

Edit. Ignore this, it doesn't show the owner.
BadTicket

Post by BadTicket »

nobody wrote:ah yes, you may need to log into the SSH console of the B3 to see the owner (unless there is a GUI trick. THere very well may be one but I never use the GUI....)
SSH console??? Sorry, I'm not an advanced user, how can I use this and what do have have to do there?

But by the way: How can this be a problem of the file rights? On Windows it's no problem. Does Windows have other rights than OSX?
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

BadTicket wrote:
SSH console??? Sorry, I'm not an advanced user, how can I use this and what do have have to do there?
http://wiki.excito.org/wiki/index.php/T ... er_via_SSH

(Sorry, can't say anything about the real problem, I have no clue about Mac computers. But at least the above link will help you ssh into the B3)

/Daniel
BadTicket

Post by BadTicket »

Hello Daniel

Thanks for the help, but this does not work.
If I try to edit die admin-login, I have no shell-login possibility. If I add a new user, I can tick the box for the shell-login, but when I add this new user, nothing happens.

To Excito and other hardware manufacturers: Why are this hardware tools always so strange? Why is it not possible that the computer industry produce tools that just work. That not change settings. A NAS that just give place for all user without any limitation. Without rights, and administration and a lot of boxes to tick, and more and more abbreviations that a normal user can not understand (eg. FTP and AFP and DLNA and DAAP and IMAP and LVM and RAID: all found in the B3 settings). I really don't understand the computer industry...
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

BadTicket wrote:If I add a new user, I can tick the box for the shell-login, but when I add this new user, nothing happens.
That is strange. Can you describe the exact steps you do?
BadTicket wrote:I really don't understand the computer industry...
To be perfectly honest I wonder if B3 is really the right product then. I mean, it is a perfectly fine home server out-of-the-box and it has nice capabilities, but the big plus with B3 is imho the stuff that you don't get out-of-the-box. The possibility to tamper with absolutely everything under the hood. Ie nerd stuff. I hope nobody at Excito hates me for saying this, but I can't really see the point in buying a B3 if you're not going to ssh into it. Just my 5p.

/Daniel
BadTicket

Post by BadTicket »

DanielM wrote:Can you describe the exact steps you do?
OK, I do the following steps:

- Starting the web tool
- Login as admin
- Click on "Users"
- Click on "Edit"
Then I get a requester:

Edit User
User name: admin
New password: [ ]
Confirm password: [ ]
User language: Default system language
Allow remote access to the system settings []
[Update]

I can there click on "Allow remote access to the system settings []" and then on [Update], but there is still "No" under "Allow shell login"
So I do the following:

- Click on [Add new user]
A get a requester and type in a new user name, a real name, a new password and confirm it, let the user language at system default, and click on the box after "Shell login". The I click on [Add new user]... ooops, now I get the new user with Yes under "Allow shell login". Don't know why, maybe I've done something wrong the last time. Sorry :oops:

But now?
BadTicket

Post by BadTicket »

I can't really see the point in buying a B3 if you're not going to ssh
That's OK, but Excito writes about the B3: "With a few mouse clicks you share your photos with friends, make backup of your files and manage your downloads". This is maybe OK, but there is no possibility to do this very easy, let's say a button for "use the B3 without any limitation, open for all in your network, no configuration, just plugin and start". That would be user friendly, because the most user don't need different users, file rights and so, they are old enough to work with folders and don't delete the stuff of other people....
BadTicket

Post by BadTicket »

Next step: I try the console on my Mac and can login on the B3. Then I type "chmod 777" and get:
chmod [-fhv] [-R [-H | -L | -P]] [-a | +a | =a [# [ n]]] mode|entry file ...
chmod [-fhv] [-R [-H | -L | -P]] [-E | -C | -N | -i | -I] file ...

Uiuiui, hard stuff for me... :roll: What can I do here?
BadTicket

Post by BadTicket »

And further steps, that maybe help:
When announce me - from my Mac with the Finder - on the B3 as "admin", I can copy files on it. But only under "Public share (or User share)/storage/video/TV" not in the folders that are there. On these folders, I have only the read rights. When I try to change that from my Mac, I get the message that I have not the rights to do it.

When I announce me a guest. I have just read wrights everywhere. This wasn't before, I can copy and delete wherever I want as a guest.
nobody

Post by nobody »

FIrst of all: the reason the "allow login via ssh" does not work for user admin because it is a security setting. You need to use another user for this.

The problem *seems* to be that, after updating, your user names got matched to different user numbers. This could have happened on the Mac client OR on the server. The fact you can write to public shares confirms this.
Now what I really think is the problem is that you actually did not make any users on the B3, only admin and guest. If that is the case, then that is the reason why writing does not work. Admin and Guest are both restricted user when it comes to remote file writing.
BadTicket

Post by BadTicket »

nobody wrote:FIrst of all: the reason the "allow login via ssh" does not work for user admin because it is a security setting. You need to use another user for this.
OK, thanks for the explanation.
nobody wrote:The problem *seems* to be that, after updating, your user names got matched to different user numbers. This could have happened on the Mac client OR on the server. The fact you can write to public shares confirms this.
Now what I really think is the problem is that you actually did not make any users on the B3, only admin and guest. If that is the case, then that is the reason why writing does not work. Admin and Guest are both restricted user when it comes to remote file writing.
But why does it work since month? I have my B3 now since january and run it always "this way".
And, when I add now a user, should I move all files into the folders of the user or can I let them under guest?