New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Warning: NFS mounts on machines connected over powerline net

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
Cheeseboy

Warning: NFS mounts on machines connected over powerline net

Post by Cheeseboy »

Hello again,

You might remember my ramblings about apcupsd in a post yesterday. I asked for it to be removed as it turned out to be unrelated to B3. I found one of the problems was in my ubuntu installation.

I found another issue that you should be aware of though:
If you use Ethernet over your power lines (like with D-Link Powerline 500 or similar), and you have an NFS mount on the machine on the other end of the “ethernet” link – be aware! When the power goes away, it doesn't seem to behave like a proper computer dying on the other end of the line.
I found I had to add statements like this in my /etc/apcupsd/onbattery files on the computers where I have apcupsd installed, or they would freeze up, even the b3:

Code: Select all

# Force unmount of popcorn NFS share immediately.
# It will not survive the powerout, and the network to it will be lost 
# (D-Link Powerline)
# The first attempt will fail as the device claims to be busy, but the second 
# generally succeeds, so do it twice...
# If this is not done, hangs and general weird behaviour can be expected.
/bin/umount -f /home/storage/mounts/popcorn || /bin/umount -f /home/storage/mounts/popcorn
Hope it might help someone!

/Cheeseboy
nobody

Re: Warning: NFS mounts on machines connected over powerline

Post by nobody »

Thanks for the recipe. The symtoms you describe are actually known behaviour for nfs under any connection type, so the recipe may be relevant to many more people.