New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

anything special to do when swapping motherboard?

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
chbug

anything special to do when swapping motherboard?

Post by chbug »

Hi,

As my B3 seems to suffer from a known issue with the eSATA port, the fine people from support sent me a new motherboard. I did the swap, but alas the B3 refused to leave the dreaded "blinking purple led" state. After a few attempts (old board ok, new board purple) and email exchanges, I got a second board. Turned out the same way. So I suspect it might be a case of pebkac, ie I'm missing out a step :)

Has anyone swapped a board? is there anything to do besides the actual "remove the screws, swap the board, put the screws back, plug in"?

Cheers,
chbug

Re: anything special to do when swapping motherboard?

Post by chbug »

Self-reply: my B3 is a 3TB, but the motherboard hadn't been flashed with the support for 3TB disks... Did that, and it worked like a charm.
nobody

Post by nobody »

Should work without a glitch, even if the hardware would have been different. Can you boot into a rescue disk?
gonk

Post by gonk »

Easyfind didn't work after I got my MB swapped since it somehow is based on the MAC address.
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

no it is based on some randomized number that is hardcoded onto the mobo. Which is worse, as you can spoof the old mac addres
See issue 4 in this thread:
http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?f ... 328#p19328
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Ubi wrote:no it is based on some randomized number that is hardcoded onto the mobo. Which is worse, as you can spoof the old mac addres
See issue 4 in this thread:
http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?f ... 328#p19328
Which would also have been easier to recover from network logs on other devices.

Spoofing the Excito key is far from impossible though. Since it is being passed on to the kernel it is very likely that the Easyfind service itself doesn't actually access the hardware address itself but gets the key from /proc. Obviously you will need some way to find the key from the old mobo - isn't it printed somewhere in readable text?
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Gordon wrote:Spoofing the Excito key is far from impossible though. Since it is being passed on to the kernel it is very likely that the Easyfind service itself doesn't actually access the hardware address itself but gets the key from /proc. Obviously you will need some way to find the key from the old mobo - isn't it printed somewhere in readable text?
Why start fiddling with this at all? If Excito sent a new motherboard, why not just ask them to change the number in the Easyfind server?

/Daniel
gonk

Post by gonk »

I don't use easyfind any longer after that and installed the dyndns client as mentioned on the wiki.