New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Restoring backup error

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
Henri

Restoring backup error

Post by Henri »

Hi

I needed to restore a week old backup from B2. Unfortunately Bubba GUI stalls and restoring backup does not work. I guess it's the same years old problem, when backup file count grows too large GUI can't handle the file count any more.

I have managed to get so far that bubba is trying to extract file but operation ends with an error:
Invalid data:SHA1 hash mismatch ...

This is the command I have been trying so far:

Code: Select all

duplicity restore --no_encryption --file-to-restore <file_name> file:///home/storage/extern/Hitachi/backup_folder/backup_folder/ /home/storage/<restore_folder>/<file_name>
Has anyone faced the same nasty situation and survived to tell about it?
Torsten

Re: Restoring backup error

Post by Torsten »

Same problem on B3.
nobody

Post by nobody »

It seems you are not using the gui but the command line.
If so , and you are only restoring a single file, why not go to home/storage/extern/Hitachi/backup_folder/backup_folder/ and manually copy the file?
Torsten

Post by Torsten »

I am using the GUI. I have to wait a while to get the list of restore points (the timeline), and if I click Restore, then I just get the "busy" cursor, and it stalls.
Henri

Post by Henri »

nobody wrote:It seems you are not using the gui but the command line.
If so , and you are only restoring a single file, why not go to home/storage/extern/Hitachi/backup_folder/backup_folder/ and manually copy the file?
Hi
I am not using GUI because it does not work, when backup "grows" too big (file count).

I cannot go and copy file manually from the backup drive, because the backup files are compressed and split apart and I don't know how to put a file back together. I tried it but I did not knew how.
Henri

Post by Henri »

At the end I did get the needed file out from backup with the help from Excito support and by learning to use duplicity from command line.
Here is what I did (just in case someone finds it useful).

Note: I am not using encryption with the backup.

First you might want to find out the correct path to the file to be restored.

duplicity --no-encryption list-current-files file:///home/storage/extern/<drive>/<path to the backup>/
Path to the backup is made from the name of your backup job and the name of the backup folder.

You find out that the file you needed has the following path.

storage/folder_name/other_folder_name/missing_file.xls
Feed the file path to duplicity restore command.

duplicity --no-encryption --file-to-restore storage/folder_name/other_folder_name/missing_file.xls file:///home/storage/extern/<drive>/<path to the backup>/ /home/storage/some_folder/missing_file.xls 
Restored file can then be found from /home/storage/some_folder/missing_file.xls

If you need to restore older backup then use the --restore-time parameter in duplicity.

Let's say you want to restore a file that was backed up March 1. 2013 at 18:00:00.

Write out a following command.

duplicity --no-encryption --restore-time 2013-03-01T18:00:00 --file-to-restore storage/folder_name/other_folder_name/missing_file.xls file:///home/storage/extern/<drive>/<path to the backup>/ /home/storage/some_folder/missing_file.xls
Glad Påsk :D
gonk

Post by gonk »

johannes

Post by johannes »

..and I can only apologize, our old duplicity-based backup does not work well with large files. It worked great in the beginning when people backed up documents and such stuff, but now with large datasets it just is not working.

We are now in final testing of a new rsync-based backup (sync) solution which will solve these issues. I know we have promised this fix for a while - sorry about the delay - I'll keep you posted on testing progress.
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)